Born On This Day:
- Fanny Fern (Sara Payson Willis Parton), 1811
- Elias Howe, 1819
- Nikola Tesla, 1856
- Don Herold, 1889
- Dame Barbara Cartland, 1901
- Edward Heath, 1916
- Ed Ames, 1927
- King Hassan of Morocco, 1929
- Oliver Sacks, 1933
- David Hockney, 1937
- Brian Dennehy, 1940
- Dean Koontz, 1945
- O. J. Simpson, 1947
- John Tesh, 1952
- Tom Hanks, 1956
- Jimmy Smits, 1958
- Courtney Love, 1965
Died On This Day:
- Jan von Eyck, 1440
- Gian Gostone de'Medici, 1737
- Philip V Spain, 1746
- Edmund Burke, 1797
- Zachary Taylor, 1850
- Mirza Ali Muhammed (the Bab) executed, 1850
- John Drew Jr., 1927
- King Camp Gillette, 1932
- Claude J.G. Montefiore, 1938
- Earl Warren, 1974
- Cornelia Otis Skinner, 1979
- Meyer Levin, 1981
- Barbara Woodhouse, 1988
- Eric Sevareid, 1992
- Melvin Belli, 1996
- James L. Farmer, Jr., 1999
- Rod Steiger, 2002
- Eileen Ford, 2014
- AD 552 - Era of the Armenians begins.
- 1386 - Swiss defeat Austrians at the Battle of Sempach.
- 1540 - Marriage of Henry VIII and Anne of Cleves is annulled after six months; 'a Flanders mare', said Hank.
- 1810 - Kingdom of Holland united to France after abdication of Louis Bonaparte.
- 1860 - Massacre of Christians at Damascus begins.
- 1877 - First Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championship begins with 21 amateurs competing for men's singles.
- 1878 - Corncob pipe patented by Henry Tibbe of Washington, Mo.
- 1914 - First auction bridge championship tournament held at Lake Placid Club, N.Y.
- 1922 - Johnny Weissmuller, future Tarzan actor, becomes first person ever to swim 100 meters in under 60 seconds (58.6).
- 1943 - U.S. and British troops invade Sicili-WWII.
- 1951 - Formal end of WWII by Britain and France.
- 1983 - Joey Pallottta 3rd catches the world record white sturgeon weighing 468 lbs off Benicia, CA.
- 1993 - Remains of Nicholas II and his family identified in Russia.
- 2011 - South Sudan becomes independent of North Sudan with its capital city at Juba; Salva Kiir Mayardit sworn in as President 7/11.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Thomas More
- John (Fisher) of Rochester
- Veronica Giuliani
- Independence Day Argentina (1816)
- Anniversary of Battle of Sempach celebrated in Lucerne, Switzerland
- JAGANNATH, RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- NEBUTA, Japanese Festival at peak of summer to drive off lethargy
- SOMA NOMAOI, Japanese Festival of samurai equestrian displays
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...