Born On This Day:
- Pope Gregory XV, 1554
- Arthur 'Bugs' Baer, 1886
- Karel Capek, 1890
- Gracie Fields, 1898
- Rudolf Bing, 1902
- George Balanchine, 1904
- Simone de Beauvoir, 1908
- Richard Nixon, 1913
- Gypsy Rose Lee, 1914
- Fernando Lamas, 1915
- Lee Van Cleef, 1925
- Judith Krantz, 1928
- Brian Friel, 1929
- Bart Starr, 1934
- Dick Enberg, 1935
- Bob Denver, 1935
- Susannah York, 1941
- Joan Baez, 1941
- Jimmy Page, 1944
- Crystal Gayle, 1951
- Joely Richardson, 1965
- Dave Matthews, 1967
- Kate Middleton, 1982
Died On This Day:
- Marco Polo, 1324
- Bernard Fontenelle, 1757
- Charles Louis Napoleon Bonaparte III , 1873
- King Victor Emmanuel (Italy), 1878
- Katherine Mansfield, 1923
- John Gilbert, 1936
- Lucia Chase, 1986
- Peter Cook, 1995
- Jesse White, 1997
- Carlo Ponti, 2007
- Peter Yates, 2011
- 1768 - First modern circus staged in London.
- 1788 - Connecticut becomes 5th state of Union by ratifying Constitution.
- 1792 - Treaty of Jassy ends second war between Russia and Turkey.
- 1793 - First American manned air-balloon flight made by Jean Pierre Blanchard and a small dog at Philly.
- 1799 - Income tax introduced in Britain by Pitt the Younger; two shillings in the pound levied on all.
- 1806 - Funeral procession of Admiral Lord Nelson attracts thousands to the streets of London.
- 1816 - New camp for coal miners invented by Sir Humphry Davy first used in a coal mine in England.
- 1861 - Mississippi secedes from the Union; second state to do so after South Carolina.
- 1861 - First act of U.S. Civil War-unarmed merchant vessel 'Star of the West' fired upon by South Carolina.
- 1905 - George Bernard Shaw's play 'You Never Can Tell' opens in New York; critics are kind.
- 1969 - The English Concorde makes its first test flight at Bristol.
- 1972 - Queen Elizabeth cruise ship catches fire in Hong Kong harbor.
- 1979 - Vietnamese forces capture Cambodia's capital Phnom Penh, overthrowing Khmer Rouge regime.
- 2007 - Apple CEO Steve Jobs announces new product, the iPhone, (released 6/29/07).
Feast Day of Saint:
- Adrian of Canterbury
- Philip of Moscow
- Birthday of Queen Mother Mariya celebrated in Yugoslavia
- YÜAN TAN. Chinese New Year's Day. Based on lunar calendar - starts sunset on day of 2nd New Moon.
- CHINESE LANTERN FESTIVAL 15th day of first month of lunar calendar marks end of Chinese New Year.
- TU BI-SHEBAT (Judaism) New Year for Trees, celebrated on 15th of lunar month Shebat.
- MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY 3rd Monday in January
- ADULTS DAY in Japan - second Monday in January - 'Seijin no hi'
- SNOW FESTIVAL - Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God
- VASANT PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of Spring and of Saraswati, Goddess of Learning (end of January)
- PONGAL AND MAKARA SANKRANTI, mid-January, Harvest festival celebrated in Southern India and Singapore
- LAILAT AL MIRAJ Muslim Festival celebrating ascent of Muhammad into Heaven
- JAPANESE NEW YEAR - 3 day festival
- LOHRI, the Hindu Bonfire Festival, celebrated early January
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...