Born On This Day:
- Charles A. Dana, 1819
- Emiliano Zapata, 1879
- Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, 1896
- Ernest O. Lawrence, 1901
- Arthur Goldberg, 1908
- Sylvia Sidney, 1910
- Dino De Laurentiis, 1919
- Esther Williams, 1921
- Rudi Gernreich, 1922
- Ronnie Biggs, 1929
- Joan Mondale, 1930
- Mel Tillis, 1932
- Dustin Hoffman, 1937
- Connie Stevens, 1938
- Keith Carradine, 1950
- Randy Shilts, 1951
- Donny Most, 1953
- Roger Federer, 1981
- Princess Beatrice of York, 1988
Died On This Day:
- Lothair, AD 869
- George Canning, 1827
- F.W. Woolworth, 1919
- Julian 'Cannonball' Adderley, 1975
- Nicholas Monsarrat, 1979
- Louise Brooks, 1985
- Fay Wray, 2004
- Barbara Bel Geddes, 2005
- Patricia Neal, 2010
- Glen Campbell, 2017
- 1588 - Spanish Armada vanquished in early morning hours by British Fleet at Calais, France.
- 1709 - World's first indoor balloon ascent demonstrated by Father Bartolomeu de Gusmao in Lisbon.
- 1876 - Thomas Alva Edison patents his first mimeograph machine.
- 1899 - Albert Marshall of Brockton, Mass patents refrigeration machine.
- 1900 - First Davis Cup tennis matches begin at Longwood Cricket Club in Brookline, Mass; U.S. vs. Britain.
- 1911 - Newsreels in movie theatres introduced by the Pathé company.
- 1925 - 40,000 Ku Klux Klanspersons stage public march down Pennsylvania Ave. in Washington, D.C.
- 1929 - Graf Zeppelin begins flight around the world in 21 days with 16 passengers, 37 crew.
- 1945 - USSR declares war on Japan WWII two days after atom bomb dropped on Hiroshima. A little late?
- 1949 - Earthquake in Ecuador devastates 1,500 square miles and kills over 4,600.
- 1963 - Great Train Robbery in Britain-$7 million stolen by 12 perps on Glasgow/London train at 3:03 a.m.
- 1974 - Richard M. Nixon becomes first U.S. President to resign effective noon tomorrow.
- 1988 - Wrigley Field in Chicago finally gets night baseball.
- 2008 - Russia invades Georgia to aid separatists in breakaway South Ossetia.
Feast Day of Saint:
- John-Baptist Vianney
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- Japanese visit graves of ancestors mid August
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God end of August
- FRIENDSHIP DAY - first Sunday in August in USA
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...