Born On This Day:
- Simon Cameron, 1799
- Oliver Wendell Holmes, 1841
- Ruggiero Leoncavallo, 1858
- Kenneth Grahame, 1859
- Sam Jaffe, 1891
- Eric Linklater, 1899
- Claire Trevor, 1909
- Cyd Charisse, 1921
- Carl Furillo, 1922
- Douglas Hurd, 1930
- Lynn Redgrave, 1943
- Mickey Dolenz, 1945
- Carol Bayer Sager, 1946
- Aiden Quinn, 1959
Died On This Day:
- King William III, 1702
- King Charles XIV Sweden & Norway, 1844
- Hector Berlioz, 1869
- Millard Fillmore, 1874
- Henry Ward Beecher, 1887
- Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin, 1917
- William Howard Taft, 1930
- Sherwood Anderson, 1941
- Sir Thomas Beecham, 1961
- Harold Lloyd, 1971
- George Stevens, 1975
- Sir William Walton, 1983
- Billy Eckstine, 1993
- Joe DiMaggio, 1999
- Peggy Cass, 1999
- Adam Faith, 2003
- George Martin, 2016
- Max von Sydow, 2020
- 1126 - Alfonso VII proclaimed king of Castile and León following the death of his mother Urraca.
- 1481 - William Caxton completes his translation of "The Mirror of the World" from French into English.
- 1618 - Johannes Kepler discovers the third law of planetary motion.
- 1702 - Queen Anne accedes to throne of England upon the death of King William III; to reign until 1714.
- 1857 - Band of Sioux Indians kill 40 whites at Spirit Lake Massacre, Iowa.
- 1911 - First International Women's Day launched in Copenhagen by Clara Zetkin, leader of Women's Office for Social Democrats in Germany.
- 1917 - Russian Revolution (February Revolution) begins at Petrograd under new Gregorian calendar.
- 1920 - First modern Arab state established: the Arab Kingdom of Syria.
- 1932 - Depression Wall St. bottoms out at 41.22; will not recover high of 381 for another 25 yrs.
- 1946 - First commercial helicopter licensed.
- 1949 - Vietnam independence within French Union proclaimed.
- 1951 - Controversial play 'The Moon is Blue' opens on Broadway at the Henry Miller Theatre.
- 1965 - Marines become first combat troops to enter South Vietnam; 3,500 land at Danang.
- 1971 - Joe Frazier beats Muhammad Ali for Heavyweight boxing championship at New York.
- 1976 - Largest meteorite fall in recorded history near Chinese city of Kirin. One stone weighed 3,902 lbs.
- 1979 - Philips Corporation demonstrates their new Compact Disk for the first time in public.
- 1983 - President Ronald Reagan first calls the Soviet Union "the evil empire."
- 2014 - Malaysia Airlines flight 370 mystery begins; aircraft with 239 people aboard disappears on flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Felix of Dunwich
- John of God (d. today 1550)
- Julian of Toledo
- Senan of Scattery
- International Women's Day (1910)
- Feast of Flora Goddess of Flowers
- SHROVE TUESDAY. Day before Ash Wednesday. Also called Fastnacht (eve of the fast) in Germany, Carnival (farewell to meat) in Italy, Mardi Gras in Brazil and U.S. & Pancake Tuesday in Britain.
- ASH WEDNESDAY, moveable feast day celebrated 40 days (ex-Sundays) before Easter.
- PURIM or Feast of Lots (Jewish), celebrated on 14th or 15th of lunar month Adar.
- HOLI (Hindu festival of Spring), celebrated early March
- LENT, called Careme in France, Quaresima in Italy and the Great Fast in Eastern Orthodoxy. (between Feb and April)
- SUNDAY OF THE GREAT FIRES, first Sunday in Lent.
- CARLING SUNDAY, fifth Sunday in Lent celebrated in Britain
- TENG CHIEH, Feast of lanterns in China (Fifteenth day of the First Moon)
- PESACH or Passover (Jewish), begins 15th day of lunar month Nisan thru 22nd
- PALM SUNDAY, Sunday before Easter and first day of Holy Week.
- MAUNDY THURSDAY, Thursday before Easter
- GOOD FRIDAY, Friday before Easter
- LAILAT AL-QADR, I'D AL-FITR & IDU'L FITAR, Muslim Festivals
- EASTER (SUNDAY) (March to May) the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox (March 22-April 25) in Western churches
- CHING MING FESTIVAL & QING MING (Singapore), All Souls Day in Far East
- NOTE; EASTER is also called Ostern in Germany and Switzerland, Pasqua in Italy, Pascua Florida or Domingo de Gloria in Spain, Pâques in France, Velykos in Lithuania, Wielkanoc in Polish, Pasha in Greece, Påske in Norway, Påskdagen in Sweden, Zadig in Armenia, Paschen in The Netherlands, Paschoa in Portugal,
- EASTER MONDAY, Monday after Easter.
- RAMA-NAVAMI, Hindu Festival of Rama, celebrated at the end of March
- CH'ING MING, Festival of Pure Brightness in China (Beginning of second moon (about March 21)
- NAEFELSERFAHRT, Swiss pilgrimage the first Thursday in April to Näfels
- COMMONWEALTH DAY in Britain Second Monday in March
- MOTHERING SUNDAY - fourth Sunday of Lent celebrated in England
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...