Born On This Day:
- Alfred Lord Tennyson, 1809
- Leo Carrillo, 1880
- Louella Parsons, 1881
- Sir Alexander Fleming, 1881
- Hoot Gibson, 1892
- Guthrie McClintic, 1893
- Dutch Schultz, 1900
- Lucille Ball, 1911
- Robert Mitchum, 1917
- Freddie Laker, 1922
- Andy Warhol, 1928
- Barbara Windsor, 1937
- Gerry Halliwell, 1972
Died On This Day:
- St. Dominic, 1221
- King Steven V Hungary, 1272
- Pope Callistus III, 1458
- Anne Hathaway, 1623
- Ben Jonson, 1637
- Diego Velasquez , 1660
- Judge Joseph Force Crater disappears, 1930
- Preston Sturges, 1959
- Sir Cedric Hardwicke, 1964
- Everett Sloane, 1965
- Fulgencio Batista , 1973
- Gregor Piatigorsky, 1976
- Edward Durell Stone, 1978
- Pope Paul VI, 1978
- William Schroeder, 1986
- Harry Reasoner, 1991
- Rick James, 2004
- Marvin Hamlisch, 2012
- 1744 - First Shakers arrive in New York from Liverpool, England.
- 1762 - Earl of Sandwich invents the sandwich at 5 a.m.
- 1806 - Following the abdication of Emperor Francis II, The Holy Roman Empire officially ends.
- 1889 - Savoy Hotel opens in London.
- 1890 - First execution by electric chair at Auburn Prison, N.Y.- mistress axe-murderer William Kemmler.
- 1896 - Madagascar declared a French Colony.
- 1914 - Austria declares war on Russia, Serbia on Germany, WW1.
- 1926 - Gertrude Ederle becomes first woman to swim English Channel; beats all men for fastest time.
- 1940 - Italian invasion of North Africa starts in British Somaliland. WWII
- 1945 - U.S. bombs Hiroshima with first nuclear weapon code-named Little Boy-155,200 killed.
- 1991 - World wide web, invented by Tim Berners-Lee, becomes available to the public, changing the world as we knew it.
- 1996 - Nasa says there may be life on Mars after examining a Martian meteorite discovered in Antarctica.
- 2009 - £40 million in diamond jewellery stolen by armed gang at Graff Jewellers, Bond Street London; Britain's biggest gem robbery.
- 2011 - Shooting of drug dealer by police in Tottenham, North London sparks five days of widespread rioting, looting and arson across England; 2,797 arrests.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Pope Sixtus II (died today A.D. 258)
- Independence Day Bolivia (1825), Jamaica (1962)
- Feast of the Transfiguration
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- Japanese visit graves of ancestors mid August
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God end of August
- FRIENDSHIP DAY - first Sunday in August in USA
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...