Born On This Day:
- King Henry VI of England, 1421
- Robert Houdin, 1805
- William S. Hart, 1870
- Alfred Joyce Kilmer, 1886
- Lynn Fontanne, 1887
- Sir Osbert Sitwell, 1892
- Ira Gershwin, 1896
- Alfred Eisenstaedt, 1898
- Agnes Moorehead, 1906
- Dave Brubeck, 1920
- Wally Cox, 1924
- Bobby Van, 1932
- Tom Hulce, 1953
- Steven Wright, 1955
Died On This Day:
- Afonso I Henrigues of Portugal, 1185
- Nicholas-Jacques Conte, 1805
- Anthony Trollope, 1882
- Jefferson Davis, 1889
- Russell Herman Conwell, 1925
- Honus Wagner, 1955
- Burr Tillstrom, 1985
- Roy Orbison, 1988
- Sammy Fain, 1989
- Don Ameche, 1993
- James 'Scotty' Reston, 1995
- Werner Klemperer, 2000
- Sunny von Bulow, 2008
- 1492 - Columbus discovers the island of Hispaniola, today comprising Haiti and the Dominican Republic.
- 1534 - City of Quito in Ecuador founded by Spaniards.
- 1662 - Oldest date of surviving Swedish 5 dalers, first paper money, first issued in July 1661.
- 1732 - Farquhar's 'The Recruiting Officer' opens; first professionally-acted play presented in NY.
- 1877 - Thomas Alva Edison records first sound on his phonograph machine, 'Mary Had a Little Lamb.'
- 1897 - Treaty of Constantinople signed.
- 1906 - Britain grants independence to Transvaal, but four years later it becomes province of South Africa.
- 1917 - Entire city of Halifax, Nova Scotia destroyed by ship explosion and tidal wave; 1,654 dead.
- 1921 - Anglo-Irish treaty signed setting up Irish Free State.
- 1923 - President Calvin Coolidge's speech to a joint session of Congress is first presidential address on radio.
- 1952 - The Great Smog of London begins reducing visibility to ten yards; to last 48 hours.
- 1969 - Rolling Stones play on as woman is stabbed to death by Hell's Angels at Altamont concert California.
- 1971 - War breaks out between India and Pakistan.
- 1982 - First execution by lethal injection; murderer Charles Brooks in Huntsville, TX.
- 1997 - Asteroid called 1997 XF11 discovered by Jim Scotti at University of Arizona; may hit earth in 2028.
- 2012 - Washington becomes the first State to legalize marijuana for recreational use; minutes after midnight festive crowds spark up in Seattle.
Feast Day of Saint:
- St. Nicholas (died today in A.D. 342)
- Abraham of Kratia
- Independence Day Finland (1917)
- Feast of St. Nicolas celebrated in Bari, Italy
- Day of Quito celebrated in Equador as City founded by Spaniards on this day in 1534
- ADVENT SUNDAY, Sunday nearest to feast of Saint Andrew (Nov. 30) whether before or after.
- CHANUKKA (Jewish Feast of Lights), eight day holiday beginning on 25th day of lunar month Kislev.
- TSAO CHÜN, Festival of the Kitchen God in China (23rd day of the twelfth moon (or 24th in Kwantung)
- CH'U HSI, Night of the Thirtieth (29th day of the twelfth moon)
- KWANZAA - African American Heritage celebrated December 26 - January 1
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...