Born On This Day:
- Shah Jahan, 1592
- Stephen Decatur, 1779
- King Camp Gillette, 1855
- George Washington Carver, 1864
- Konrad Adenauer, 1876
- Herbert Bayard Swope, 1882
- Stella Gibbons, 1902
- Jean-Pierre Aumont, 1909
- Jeanne Dixon, 1918
- Fredrich Dürrenmatt, 1921
- Walter 'Fritz' Mondale, 1928
- Alvin Ailey Jr., 1931
- Robert Duvall, 1931
- Raisa Gorbachev, 1932
- Umberto Eco, 1932
- Diane Keaton, 1946
- Pamela Sue Martin, 1954
- Denis Leary, 1957
- Ed Norton, 1969
Died On This Day:
- King Edward the Confessor, 1066
- Charles the Bold, duke of Burgundy, 1477
- Catherine de' Medici, 1589
- Auguste Francois Joseph Le Lievre, Marquis de La Grange, 1826
- Ernest Shackleton, 1922
- Calvin Coolidge, 1933
- George Washington Carver, 1943
- Mistinguette (Jeanne Bougeeois), 1956
- Rogers Hornsby, 1963
- Max Born, 1970
- Charlie Mingus, 1979
- Hans Conried, 1982
- Thomas 'Tip' O'Neill, 1994
- Sonny Bono, 1998
- Jean Kerr, 2003
- Roy Jenkins, 2003
- Pierre Boulez, 2016
- 1477 - Swiss at Nancy defeat Burgundy ending possibility of Burgundian state between France & Germany.
- 1608 - Captain John Smith captured by Indians; later saved by Indian princess Pocahontas.
- 1889 - A 'hamburger' first appears on a restaurant menu in Walla Walla, WA, as reported in the Union News.
- 1914 - Henry Ford introduces a minimum wage scale of $5 per day at his Ford Motor Co. plant.
- 1919 - National Socialist Party founded in Germany
- 1920 - Babe Ruth sold to N.Y. Yankees by Boston Red Sox for record $125,000.
- 1925 - Nellie Ross of Wyoming becomes first female U.S. governor.
- 1933 - Construction begins on Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco.
- 1940 - FM radio first demonstrated.
- 1948 - Alfred Kinsey's 'Sexual Behavior in the Human Male' published to a shocked U.S.A.
- 1950 - Carson McCuller's 'A Member of the Wedding' opens on Broadway at the Empire Theatre.
- 2010 - World's tallest building launched in Dubai - the Burj Khalifa - 828m high (327 metres taller than Taipei 101).
- 2011 - World record price for bluefin tuna at Tokyo's new year fish auction: 342 kg tuna sells for $395,000 - $42 per taste.
- 2012 - New world's record bluefin tuna sale at Tokyo's Tsukiji Fish Market: $736,000 for 269 kg. fish
Feast Day of Saint:
- Simeon the Stylite
- Wassail Eve (Britain), Shinnen Enkai (New Year Party) in Japan
- Evening before Epiphany - 12th Night Eve
- La Befana in Italy
- YÜAN TAN. Chinese New Year's Day. Based on lunar calendar - starts sunset on day of 2nd New Moon.
- CHINESE LANTERN FESTIVAL 15th day of first month of lunar calendar marks end of Chinese New Year.
- TU BI-SHEBAT (Judaism) New Year for Trees, celebrated on 15th of lunar month Shebat.
- MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY 3rd Monday in January
- ADULTS DAY in Japan - second Monday in January - 'Seijin no hi'
- SNOW FESTIVAL - Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God
- VASANT PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of Spring and of Saraswati, Goddess of Learning (end of January)
- PONGAL AND MAKARA SANKRANTI, mid-January, Harvest festival celebrated in Southern India and Singapore
- LAILAT AL MIRAJ Muslim Festival celebrating ascent of Muhammad into Heaven
- JAPANESE NEW YEAR - 3 day festival
- LOHRI, the Hindu Bonfire Festival, celebrated early January
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...