Born On This Day:
- Fernand Leger, 1881
- Ugo Betti, 1892
- Ludwig Erhard, 1897
- Charles Lindbergh, 1902
- Rosa Parks, 1913
- Norman Wisdom, 1915
- Ida Lupino, 1918
- Betty Friedan, 1921
- David Brenner, 1945
- Dan Quayle, 1947
- Alice Cooper, 1948
- Lisa Eichhorn, 1952
- Clint Black, 1962
- Gabrielle Anwar, 1971
- Oscar De La Hoya, 1973
Died On This Day:
- Emperor Lucius Septimius Severus, AD 211
- Pope Gregory V, AD 999
- Thomas Carlyle, 1881
- Thelma Ritter, 1969
- Louis Jordan, 1975
- Karen Carpenter, 1983
- Liberace AIDS, 1987
- Ossie Davis, 2005
- Betty Friedan, 2006
- Barbara McNair, 2007
- 1861 - 25 year American Indian Wars known as the Apache Wars begin as Apache Chief Cochise arrested.
- 1861 - Representatives from seceded States AL, FL, GA, LA, MS, SC and TX meet in Montgomery AL to form a new republic.
- 1901 - Puccini's opera 'Tosca' makes U.S. debut at Metropolitan Opera House, New York.
- 1936 - Radium E first produced at UC Berkeley-the first synthetic radioactive substance
- 1938 - Thornton Wilder's 'Our Town' starts 336 performance run on Broadway.
- 1938 - Hitler takes command of German army and puts Nazi officers in key positions.
- 1941 - USO founded (United Services Organization) to provide wholesome off-duty relaxation for military.
- 1946 - Garson Kanin's 'Born Yesterday' starts 1,642 performance run in N.Y.
- 1952 - First meeting of U.N. disarmament commission.
- 1957 - Smith-Corona places on sale its first electric portable typewriter.
- 1974 - Patty Hearst, 19 year-old daughter of William Randolph, kidnapped by Symbonese Liberation Army.
- 1976 - 23,000 killed in earthquake in Guatemala.
- 1997 - Civil trial jury in Santa Monica finds O.J. Simpson liable for murders of wife Nicole and Ron Goldman.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Andrew Corsini
- Gilbert of Sempringham
- Joan of France
- John de Britto
- Independence Day Sri Lanka (1948)
- Japanese Day of Fortune
- TU BI-SHEBAT (Judaism) New Year for Trees, celebrated on 15th of lunar month Shebat.
- PRESIDENT'S DAY 3rd Monday in February observing births of Washington & Lincoln
- SHROVE TUESDAY (or Fat Tuesday). Day before Ash Wednesday. Also called Fasnacht (eve of the fast) in Germany and Austria, Carnival (farewell to meat) in Italy, Mardi Gras in Brazil and U.S., Street Urchins' Carnival in Denmark & Pancake Tuesday in Britain.
- ASH WEDNESDAY, moveable feast day celebrated 40 days (ex-Sundays) before Easter.
- PURIM or Feast of Lots (Jewish), celebrated on 14th or 15th of lunar month Adar.
- HOLI (Hindu festival of Spring and Vernal Fire)
- HOLA MOHALLA, Sikh Festival celebrated in India
- LENT, called Careme in France, Quaresima in Italy and the Great Fast in Eastern Orthodoxy. (between Feb and April)
- SUNDAY OF THE GREAT FIRES, first Sunday in Lent.
- CARLING SUNDAY, fifth Sunday in Lent celebrated in Britain
- MAHA SHIVARATRI, Hindu Festival of the Night of Shiva, celebrated mid-February
- TENG CHIEH, Feast of lanterns in China (Fifteenth day of the First Moon)
- CHINESE NEW YEAR celebrated all over the world in February
- SUPER BOWL SUNDAY - first Sunday in February from 2004
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...