Born On This Day:
- King Louis X France, 1289
- Rutherford B. Hayes, 1822
- Frederic Remington, 1861
- Damon Runyon, 1884
- Buster Keaton, 1895
- Jan Murray, 1917
- Charlton Heston, 1924
- Alvin Toffler, 1928
- Sir Terence Conran, 1931
- Anne Rice, 1941
- Jackie Collins, 1941
- H. Rap Brown, 1943
- Susan Sarandon, 1946
- Armande Assante, 1949
- Liev Schreiber, 1967
Died On This Day:
- Saint Teresa of Avila, 1582
- Rembrandt, 1669
- Alfred E. Smith, 1944
- Anne Sexton, 1974
- Glenn Gould, 1982
- Secretariat (Racehorse), 1989
- Graham Chapman, 1989
- Jill Bennett, 1990
- Bernard Buffet suicide, 1999
- Norman Wisdom, 2010
- Diahann Carroll, 2019
- 1535 - Printing completed on the first English language bible.
- 1830 - Independence of Belgium proclaimed.
- 1883 - The Orient Express makes its first run from Paris via Romania, Munich, Vienna and Varna where passengers then got a ferry to Constantinople.
- 1887 - James Gordon Bennett Jr. publishes first issue of the New York Herald's European edition in Paris.
- 1894 - 19 year-old English man, Horace Rawlins, wins first U.S. Open golf tournament in Newport, RI.
- 1950 - Snoopy the dog makes his first appearance in Charlie Brown comic strip by Charles Schultz.
- 1957 - Russians launch world's first earth satellite-Sputnik I from Tyuratam Baikonur; space race begins.
- 1963 - Killer hurricane Flora kills 6,000 in Caribbean.
- 1965 - Pope Paul VI becomes first Pope to visit U.S.
- 1976 - Supreme Court reinstates death penalty on murder cases banned on 6/29/72 as against 8th amendment.
- 1980 - Earthquakes of 7.7 and 6.54 kill 4,000 in Algeria.
- 2004 - Oil trading opens at $50 a barrel for the first time.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Independence Day Lesotho (1966)
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CHI'U CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- DIVALI (India) five day autumn festival.
- BHRATRI DWITYA, Hindu Festival of Brothers
- RAMADAN, Muslim holy month
- CHILD HEALTH DAY - first Monday in October in USA
- COLUMBUS DAY - first Monday in October
- DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ENDS - last Sunday in October set clocks back
- MOTHER-IN-LAW DAY - celebrated fourth Sunday in October in US
- NATIONAL CHILDREN'S DAY - second Sunday in October in USA
- THANKSGIVING DAY IN CANADA - second Monday in October
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...