Born On This Day:
- Archbishop James Ussher, 1581
- Jacob Grimm, 1785
- Louis Braille, 1809
- Sir Isaac Pitman, 1813
- General Tom Thumb, 1838
- Augustus John, 1879
- Everett Dirksen, 1896
- Jane Wyman, 1914
- Floyd Patterson, 1935
- Dyan Cannon, 1937
Died On This Day:
- Charles, Duc d’Orleans, 1465
- Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton, 1821
- Cornelius Vanderbilt, 1877
- Anselm Feuerbach, 1880
- Henri Bergson, 1941
- Ralph Vaughan Williams, 1958
- Albert Camus killed, 1960
- T. S. Eliot, 1965
- Ray Kroc, 1984
- Christopher Isherwood, 1986
- John Toland, 2004
- Brian Gibson, 2004
- Dick King-Smith, 2011
- 1493 - Columbus sails back to Spain in the Nina with six natives, leaving 39 crew members behind.
- 1797 - Austrians under Joseph Alvintzi defeated by Napoleon at Rivoli.
- 1885 - First successful appendectomy performed by Dr. William West Grant in Davenport, Iowa.
- 1896 - Utah becomes 45th State admitted to Union.
- 1936 - First Billboard music chart published.
- 1938 - First television transmission of an event in which there were paying customers- a circus in London.
- 1944 - Leonard Bernstein's musical 'On the Town' opens on Broadway directed by George Abbott.
- 1944 - Ralph Bunche becomes first Black person appointed as official in U.S. State Department.
- 1948 - Weekly News magazine Der Spiegel begins publication in Germany.
- 1962 - First subwaytrain to run without conductors or motormen hits tracks in New York.
- 1981 - Swiss scientists announce first successful cloning of a mammal, replicating three mice.
- 2000 - Final Peanuts comic strip to appear on Charles Schulz retirement; debut was 2 October 1950.
- 2007 - Nancy Pelosi becomes the first woman speaker of the US House of Representatives.
- 2009 - Israeli troops enter Gaza launching ground offensive to wipe out Hamas who had been slinging missiles into Israel.
- 2018 - 33 days after hitting 24000, Dow Jones leaps over 25000 for the first time. Can this last?
Feast Day of Saint:
- Elizabeth Ann Bayley Seton
- Gregory of Langres
- Rigobert of Rheims
- Roger of Ellant
- Independence Day Burma (1948)
- YÜAN TAN. Chinese New Year's Day. Based on lunar calendar - starts sunset on day of 2nd New Moon.
- CHINESE LANTERN FESTIVAL 15th day of first month of lunar calendar marks end of Chinese New Year.
- TU BI-SHEBAT (Judaism) New Year for Trees, celebrated on 15th of lunar month Shebat.
- MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY 3rd Monday in January
- ADULTS DAY in Japan - second Monday in January - 'Seijin no hi'
- SNOW FESTIVAL - Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God
- VASANT PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of Spring and of Saraswati, Goddess of Learning (end of January)
- PONGAL AND MAKARA SANKRANTI, mid-January, Harvest festival celebrated in Southern India and Singapore
- LAILAT AL MIRAJ Muslim Festival celebrating ascent of Muhammad into Heaven
- JAPANESE NEW YEAR - 3 day festival
- LOHRI, the Hindu Bonfire Festival, celebrated early January
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...