Born On This Day:
- Emperor Caligula, AD 12
- Theophile Gautier, 1811
- Rudolf Diesel, 1858
- Maria Montessori, 1870
- Lytton Strachey, 1880
- Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands, 1880
- Fredric March, 1897
- Arthur Godfrey, 1903
- Dore Schary, 1905
- William Shawn, 1907
- William Saroyan, 1908
- Richard Basehart, 1914
- Ted Williams, 1918
- Alan Jay Lerner, 1918
- Buddy Hackett, 1924
- James Coburn, 1928
- Eldridge Cleaver, 1935
- Itzhak Perlman, 1945
- Van Morrison, 1945
- Richard Gere, 1949
- Edwin Moses, 1955
- Queen Rania Al Abdullah of Jordan, 1970
- Debbie Gibson, 1970
Died On This Day:
- King Henry V, 1422
- John Bunyan, 1688
- Charles Pierre Baudelaire, 1867
- Harley Granville-Barker, 1946
- Georges Braque, 1963
- Rocky Marciano killed, 1969
- John Ford, 1973
- Sally Rand, 1979
- Henry Moore, 1986
- Dodi Fayed killed, 1997
- Diana, Princess of Wales killed, 1997
- Lionel Hampton, 2002
- David Frost, 2013
- 1836 - Henry Blair of Glenross, Md. receives patent on cotton seed planter.
- 1886 - Major earthquake in east; 41 dead $5 million damage in Charleston, SC.
- 1887 - Thomas Edison receives patent on the Kinetoscope, a movie projector, really invented by his assistant.
- 1888 - Jack the Ripper commits his first murder (Mary Ann Polly Nichols) in Whitechapel, London.
- 1900 - Coca-Cola goes on sale in Britain for the first time.
- 1919 - Communist Labor Party of America formed in Chicago, IL; motto: 'Workers of the world unite.'
- 1920 - Radio station 8MK in Detroit is first to broadcast news program and election returns.
- 1928 - "The Threepenny Opera" by Kurt Weill and Bertolt Brecht first performed in Berlin.
- 1934 - First all-star football game played at Soldier Field, Chicago
- 1968 - 7.4 magnitude earthquake in Khorasan province of Iran kills 12,000.
- 1997 - Car crash in Paris tunnel ends life of Britain's favorite princess, now legend, Diana at age 36.
- 1998 - Wall Street in 2nd biggest fall - Dow loses 512.61 points reacting to Russian fiscal crisis. (now3rd)
- 2005 - 1,000+ Shia pilgrims killed in stampede due to rumours of a suicide bomber in Northern Bagdad, Iraq.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Paulinus of Trier
- Aidan of Lindisfarne
- Raymund Nonnatus
- Independence Day Malaysia (1957), Trinidad & Tobago (1962)
- Queen Wilhelmina's birthday celebrated in The Netherlands
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- Japanese visit graves of ancestors mid August
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God end of August
- FRIENDSHIP DAY - first Sunday in August in USA
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...