Born On This Day:
- Samuel Rogers, 1763
- Emily Brontë, 1818
- Henry Ford, 1863
- Casey Stengel, 1890
- Henry Moore, 1898
- John Mason Brown, 1900
- C. Northcote Parkinson, 1909
- Edd Byrnes, 1933
- Peter Bogdanovich, 1939
- Paul Anka, 1941
- Arnold Schwarzenegger, 1947
- Ken Olin, 1954
- Anita Hill, 1956
- Delta Burke, 1956
- Kate Bush, 1958
- Larry Fishbourne, 1961
- Lisa Kudrow, 1963
- Hilary Swank, 1974
Died On This Day:
- William Penn, 1718
- Thomas Gray, 1771
- Prince Otto von Bismarck, 1898
- Emperor Meiji of Japan, 1912
- Alfred Joyce Kilmer killed, 1918
- Alfred von Krupp, 1967
- George Szell, 1970
- Jimmy Hoffa missing presumed killed, 1975
- Howard Dietz, 1983
- Lynn Fontanne, 1983
- Claudette Colbert, 1996
- William Fadiman, 1999
- Michelangelo Antonioni, 2007
- Ingmar Bergman, 2007
- 1419 - Hussites storm town hall in Prague and throw 7 councilors out the window - first Defenestration.
- 1619 - First assembly in America, the House of Burgesses, meets at Jamestown.
- 1656 - Battle of Warsaw ends.
- 1909 - U.S. Government purchases first airplane from the Wright brothers for $30,000.
- 1930 - America's first experimental television station W2RBX begins broadcasts in New York.
- 1932 - Walt Disney's first Technicolor short film debuts - 'Flowers and Trees.'
- 1935 - Penguin Books in England publishes the first paperback -Ariel, a biog of Shelley by Maurois - cost 6d.
- 1937 - AFTRA founded, American Federation of Radio Television Artists.
- 1945 - USS Indianapolis torpedoed by Japanese submarine. 316 out of 1,196 survive sinking and sharks.
- 1956 - 'In God We Trust' becomes motto of the United States in act signed by President Eisenhower.
- 1959 - Robert Noyce and Gordon Moore file patent application for integrated circuit technology on behalf of Fairchild Semiconductor; granted 4/25/61.
- 1965 - Medicare bill signed by President Lyndon Baines Johnson.
- 1973 - After an 11 year legal battle in Britain, withered limb victims of drug thalidomide awarded £20 mil.
- 2002 - World record price of $7.5m paid for 1933 Double Eagle $20 gold piece of 1933; formerly Farouk's.
- 2010 - Worst monsoons in 80 years flood Pakistan; 650,000 houses destroyed, 14 million affected, 1,500 dead.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Day of Euclid, father of Geometry.
- Independence Day Vanuatu (1980)
- JAGANNATH, RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- NEBUTA, Japanese Festival at peak of summer to drive off lethargy
- SOMA NOMAOI, Japanese Festival of samurai equestrian displays
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...