Born On This Day:
- Charles Rollin, 1661
- Sir Seymour Hicks, 1871
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt, 1882
- King Boris III of Bulgaria, 1894
- Roy Eldridge, 1911
- Barbara Tuchman, 1912
- David Wayne, 1914
- John Ireland, 1915
- Dick Martin, 1922
- Dorothy Malone, 1925
- Hal Prince, 1928
- Gene Hackman, 1931
- Louis Rukeyser, 1933
- Richard Brautigan, 1933
- Tammy Grimes, 1936
- Vanessa Redgrave, 1937
- Boris Spassky, 1937
- Richard Cheney, 1941
- Steven Stills, 1945
- Phil Collins, 1951
- Jody Watley, 1961
Died On This Day:
- King Charles I beheaded, 1649
- Czar Peter II, 1730
- Betsy Ross, 1836
- Osceola, leader of Seminole Indians, 1838
- Archduke Rudolf Austria, 1889
- Mohandas Gandhi assassinated, 1948
- Orville Wright, 1948
- Stanley Holloway, 1982
- Taikichiro Mori, 1993
- Queen Alexandra of Yugoslavia, 1993
- Gerald Durrell, 1995
- Inge Morath, 2002
- Coretta Scott King, 2006
- Wendy Wasserstein, 2006
- Ingemar Johansson, 2009
- 1607 - Worst and costliest natural disaster to hit Britain, a tsunami in Bristol Channel, kills 2,000 and floods 200 square miles.
- 1835 - First unsuccessful assassination attempt on a U.S. President-Andrew Jackson by Richard Lawrence.
- 1847 - Yerba Buena changes name to San Francisco.
- 1894 - Pneumatic hammer patented by inventor Charles Brady King of Detroit.
- 1933 - Hitler becomes Chancellor of Germany-appointed by President von Hindenburg; Nazi era begins.
- 1933 - Lone Ranger radio program premieres on WXYZ in Detroit; George Seaton plays the masked man.
- 1948 - On his way to prayers, Mahatma Gandhi is shot 3 times in the chest by Hindu extremist Nathuram Godse in Delhi.
- 1957 - 'The Music Man' begins 1375 performance run in N.Y.
- 1965 - British state funeral for Winston Churchill draws a million mourners.
- 1968 - Tet offensive begins in Viet Nam; North Vietnam army in massive assault against Saigon and Hue.
- 1969 - Beatles last record/film session together on roof of Apple Studios, London; they record 'Get Back.'
- 1972 - Bloody Sunday in Londonderry Northern Ireland, Army kills 13 marching Roman Catholic civilians.
- 1974 - First Indian Rhinoceros born in captivity at National Zoo, Washington
- 1977 - Final segment of TV drama 'Roots' gains highest ratings in TV history.
- 1993 - Almost a century after New York, Boston and Paris, Los Angeles finally gets a subway- the Red Line.
- 2020 - W.H.O. declares global health emergency over coronavirus.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Bathild (Basil)
- Anniv. King Charles the Martyr
- St. Tydie the Virgin (Celtic saint)
- Birthday of King Boris III in Bulgaria
- Day of the Three Archbishops in Greece
- YÜAN TAN. Chinese New Year's Day. Based on lunar calendar - starts sunset on day of 2nd New Moon.
- CHINESE LANTERN FESTIVAL 15th day of first month of lunar calendar marks end of Chinese New Year.
- TU BI-SHEBAT (Judaism) New Year for Trees, celebrated on 15th of lunar month Shebat.
- MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY 3rd Monday in January
- ADULTS DAY in Japan - second Monday in January - 'Seijin no hi'
- SNOW FESTIVAL - Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God
- VASANT PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of Spring and of Saraswati, Goddess of Learning (end of January)
- PONGAL AND MAKARA SANKRANTI, mid-January, Harvest festival celebrated in Southern India and Singapore
- LAILAT AL MIRAJ Muslim Festival celebrating ascent of Muhammad into Heaven
- JAPANESE NEW YEAR - 3 day festival
- LOHRI, the Hindu Bonfire Festival, celebrated early January
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...