Born On This Day:
- Cicero, 106 BC
- Saint Paul of the Cross, 1694
- Douglas Jerrold, 1803
- D.W. Griffith, 1875
- Clement Atlee, 1883
- J.R.R. Tolkien, 1892
- Marion Davies, 1897
- Ngo Dinh Diem, 1901
- Ray Milland, 1905
- Victor Borge, 1909
- Betty Furness, 1916
- Jesse White, 1918
- Allen Ginsberg, 1926
- George Martin, 1926
- Sergio Leone, 1929
- Dabney Coleman, 1932
- Jerry Leiber, 1933
- Bobby Hull, 1939
- Victoria Principal, 1944
- Steven Stills, 1945
- Sydney Biddle Barrows, 1952
- Mel Gibson, 1956
- Michael Schumacher, 1969
Died On This Day:
- King Philip V (the Tall) of France, 1322
- Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo, 1543
- Josiah Wedgwood, 1795
- Pierre Larousse, 1875
- Elizabeth Peabody, 1894
- Jack Ruby, 1967
- Conrad Hilton, 1979
- Joy Adamson, 1980
- David Maysles, 1987
- Dame Judith Anderson, 1992
- Phil Everly, 2014
- 1521 - Martin Luther excommunicated.
- 1777 - George Washington avoids attack and retreats to winter camp after Battle of Princeton.
- 1871 - Henry W. Bradley of Binghamton, N.Y. receives patent on Oleomargarine.
- 1895 - Oscar Wilde's 'An Ideal Husband' premieres in London; critics rave including George Bernard Shaw.
- 1900 - Giuseppe Verdi's 'Aida' makes U.S. debut in New York.
- 1924 - After almost two years in the tomb, Howard Carter discovers sarcophagus of King Tut.
- 1938 - Franklin Delano Roosevelt creates The March of Dimes to battle polio.
- 1958 - Sir Edmund Hillary reaches the South Pole.
- 1959 - Alaska becomes 49th State admitted to Union.
- 1961 - U.S. under Eisenhower breaks diplomatic relations with Cuba.
- 1962 - Groundbreaking ceremonies for Houston Astrodome.
- 1977 - Apple Computer incorporated by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak.
- 1988 - Margaret Thatcher becomes Britain's longest-serving Prime Minister in 20th Century (elected 4/79)
- 2015 - Boko Harem series of massacres begin in Nigeria; 2,000 killed in four days.
- 2019 - Dow Jones slips 660 points on Apple Computer slide, government shutdown,and Chinese trade war. 4,152 points lost since record high in October 2018.
- 2019 - Nancy Pelosi elected first woman Speaker of the House in American History, second line of succession in the case of a President's death or impeachment.
- 2020 - American drone attack near the Baghdad airport kills Iranian Maj. Gen. Qassim Suleimani.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Feast of St. Genevieve-patron saint of Paris
- Genshi-Sai (Imperial Court functions begin) in Japan
- YÜAN TAN. Chinese New Year's Day. Based on lunar calendar - starts sunset on day of 2nd New Moon.
- CHINESE LANTERN FESTIVAL 15th day of first month of lunar calendar marks end of Chinese New Year.
- TU BI-SHEBAT (Judaism) New Year for Trees, celebrated on 15th of lunar month Shebat.
- MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY 3rd Monday in January
- ADULTS DAY in Japan - second Monday in January - 'Seijin no hi'
- SNOW FESTIVAL - Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God
- VASANT PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of Spring and of Saraswati, Goddess of Learning (end of January)
- PONGAL AND MAKARA SANKRANTI, mid-January, Harvest festival celebrated in Southern India and Singapore
- LAILAT AL MIRAJ Muslim Festival celebrating ascent of Muhammad into Heaven
- JAPANESE NEW YEAR - 3 day festival
- LOHRI, the Hindu Bonfire Festival, celebrated early January
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...