Born On This Day:
- Jean-Baptiste Colbert, 1619
- John Locke, 1632
- Oliver Wendell Holmes, 1809
- Maurice Maeterlinck, 1862
- Charles F. Kettering, 1876
- Preston Sturges, 1898
- Ingrid Bergman, 1915
- George Montgomery, 1916
- Charlie Parker, 1920
- Richard Attenborough, 1923
- Dinah Washington, 1924
- Isabel Sanford, 1933
- John McCain, 1936
- Elliott Gould, 1938
- Robert Rubin, 1938
- William Friedkin, 1939
- James Brady, 1940
- Robin Leach, 1941
- James Hunt, 1947
- Michael Jackson, 1958
- Lenny Henry, 1958
- Rebecca De Mornay, 1962
- Sir Peter Scott, 1989
Died On This Day:
- John the Baptist, AD 29
- Atahualpa strangled, 1533
- Edmond Hoyle, 1769
- Pope Pius VI, 1799
- Brigham Young, 1877
- Reverend Spooner, 1930
- Queen Astrid (Belgium) killed, 1935
- Manolete (Manuael Rodriguez) killed, 1947
- Vicki Baum, 1960
- Eamon de Valera, 1975
- S. I. Newhouse, 1979
- Lowell Thomas, 1981
- Lehman Engel, 1982
- Ingrid Bergman, 1982
- Lee Marvin, 1987
- Gene Wilder, 2016
- 26 BC - Egyptian Year instituted on the reformation of the Egyptian calendar by Augustus.
- AD 284 - Coptic era begins.
- 1475 - Edward IV agrees to withdraw army from France in exchange for gold under Truce of Picquigny.
- 1533 - Inca Empire dies with Francisco Pizarro's assassination of Atahualpa.
- 1782 - HMS Royal George keels over, capsizes and sinks at Portsmouth with a loss of 900 lives.
- 1825 - Portugal recognizes Brazil's independence.
- 1831 - Michael Faraday demonstrates electromagnetic induction; electricity can be converted into motion.
- 1833 - British factory act-children under 9 can't work, 9-13 can't work more than 9 hr. day.
- 1835 - Melbourne, Australia founded.
- 1842 - Treaty of Nanking ends the Opium Wars and confirms Hong Kong cede to Britain.
- 1862 - General Stonewall Jackson defeats Union army at 2nd Battle of Bull Run. (Civil War)
- 1885 - First motorcycle patented in Germany by Gottlieb Daimler.
- 1885 - John L. Sullivan wins first world heavyweight title fought with 3-oz gloves in Cincinnati.
- 1893 - The Zipper, also known as the slide fastener, patented by Whitcomb Judson of Chicago.
- 1896 - Chop Suey first cooked by chef of Chinese Ambassador in N.Y.
- 1897 - Star of David becomes official Jewish people's emblem.
- 1916 - Hindenburg becomes German chief of staff.
- 1949 - Russia explodes its first atomic bomb at a test site at Semipalatinsk in Kazakhstan.
- 1965 - Gemini-5, an eight-day orbital flight, lands with astronauts Gordon Cooper and Charles Conrad.
- 1966 - Beatles give their last ever live performance at Candlestick Park, San Francisco.
- 1991 - Communism officially dead in Russia as Supreme Soviet suspends all activities of the Party.
- 2005 - Hurricane Katrina comes ashore as a category 4 storm in Buras, Louisiana causing floods, looting, deaths and record destruction.
- Egyptian New Year
- Day of Thoth, Egyptian form of Mercury
- Festival of the Beheading of John the Baptist in Greece
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- Japanese visit graves of ancestors mid August
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God end of August
- FRIENDSHIP DAY - first Sunday in August in USA
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...