Born On This Day:
- Pope Paul III, 1468
- Gioacchino Rossini, 1792
- William Wellman, 1896
- Jean Negulesco, 1900
- Jimmy Dorsey, 1904
- Dinah Shore, 1917
- Joss Ackland, 1928
Died On This Day:
- Saint Hilarius, AD 468
- Saint Oswald of Worcester, AD 992
- Patrick Hamilton burnt at stake, 1528
- King Ludwig I of Bavaria, 1868
- Melvin Purvis suicide, 1960
- Jerome Lawrence, 2004
- Davy Jones, 2012
- 46 BC - Julius Caesar's astronomer Sosigenes introduces first Leap Year, called intercalary day.
- 1504 - Solar eclipse 'caused' by Christopher Columbus persuades Jamaicans to supply food to his ships.
- 1796 - First U.S. extradition treaty with a foreign country-Jay Treaty with Britain. proclaimed.
- 1912 - Military revolt in Peking.
- 1940 - Laurence Olivier and Vivien Leigh become first husband and wife to both win Academy Awards.
- 1952 - New York City erects first four 'Don't Walk' signs in Times Square.
- 1956 - Pakistan announces it is to become an Islamic republic.
- 1960 - First Playboy Club with waitresses in bunny outfits opens in Chicago.
- 1968 - Scientists at Cambridge, UK, announce discovery of first pulsar, a star which emits radio waves.
- Leap Day, also called Bachelor's Day, allows women an extra day to propose marriage
- TU BI-SHEBAT (Judaism) New Year for Trees, celebrated on 15th of lunar month Shebat.
- PRESIDENT'S DAY 3rd Monday in February observing births of Washington & Lincoln
- SHROVE TUESDAY (or Fat Tuesday). Day before Ash Wednesday. Also called Fasnacht (eve of the fast) in Germany and Austria, Carnival (farewell to meat) in Italy, Mardi Gras in Brazil and U.S., Street Urchins' Carnival in Denmark & Pancake Tuesday in Britain.
- ASH WEDNESDAY, moveable feast day celebrated 40 days (ex-Sundays) before Easter.
- PURIM or Feast of Lots (Jewish), celebrated on 14th or 15th of lunar month Adar.
- HOLI (Hindu festival of Spring and Vernal Fire)
- HOLA MOHALLA, Sikh Festival celebrated in India
- LENT, called Careme in France, Quaresima in Italy and the Great Fast in Eastern Orthodoxy. (between Feb and April)
- SUNDAY OF THE GREAT FIRES, first Sunday in Lent.
- CARLING SUNDAY, fifth Sunday in Lent celebrated in Britain
- MAHA SHIVARATRI, Hindu Festival of the Night of Shiva, celebrated mid-February
- TENG CHIEH, Feast of lanterns in China (Fifteenth day of the First Moon)
- CHINESE NEW YEAR celebrated all over the world in February
- SUPER BOWL SUNDAY - first Sunday in February from 2004
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...