Born On This Day:
- Thomas Paine, 1737
- William McKinley, 1843
- Anton Chekhov, 1860
- Frederick Delius, 1862
- W.C. Fields, 1879
- Victor Mature, 1913
- John Raitt, 1917
- John Forsythe, 1918
- Paddy Chayefsky, 1923
- Edward Abbey, 1927
- Germaine Greer, 1939
- Katherine Ross, 1943
- Tom Selleck, 1945
- Ann Jillian, 1951
- Oprah Winfrey, 1954
- Greg Louganis, 1960
- Steve Sax, 1960
- Dominik Hasek, 1965
Died On This Day:
- Czar Ivan V, 1696
- King George III, 1820
- Edward Lear, 1888
- Alfred Sisley, 1899
- General Earl Douglas Haig, 1928
- H. L. Mencken, 1956
- Fritz Kreisler, 1962
- Robert Frost, 1963
- Freddie Prinze suicide, 1977
- Jimmy Durante, 1980
- Leif Erickson, 1986
- Margaret Truman, 2008
- Rod McKuen, 2015
- 1635 - Academie Francaise formally established.
- 1728 - 'The Beggar's Opera' first performed.
- 1819 - Singapore founded by Sir Stamford Raffles.
- 1820 - George IV takes throne of England on death of his insane father George III.
- 1820 - George III death ends longest reign in British history; ascended throne 10/25/1760 - 59 yrs 3mos.
- 1861 - Kansas admitted to Union.
- 1886 - Karl Friedrich Benz patents his one-cylinder gasoline-driven car, the Motorwagen, in Germany.
- 1892 - Coca-Cola Company incorporated in Atlanta, Georgia.
- 1900 - American League of baseball founded in Philadelphia.
- 1924 - Machine to roll ice cream cones patented.
- 1942 - BBC Radio's 'Desert Island Disks,' first broadcast; celebrates 60th anniversary 2002.
- 1947 - Arthur Miller's 'All My Sons' opens on Broadway at the Coronet Theatre.
- 1966 - 'Sweet Charity' opens on Broadway at the Palace Theatre.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Francis de Sales
- Gildas the Wise
- YÜAN TAN. Chinese New Year's Day. Based on lunar calendar - starts sunset on day of 2nd New Moon.
- CHINESE LANTERN FESTIVAL 15th day of first month of lunar calendar marks end of Chinese New Year.
- TU BI-SHEBAT (Judaism) New Year for Trees, celebrated on 15th of lunar month Shebat.
- MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY 3rd Monday in January
- ADULTS DAY in Japan - second Monday in January - 'Seijin no hi'
- SNOW FESTIVAL - Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God
- VASANT PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of Spring and of Saraswati, Goddess of Learning (end of January)
- PONGAL AND MAKARA SANKRANTI, mid-January, Harvest festival celebrated in Southern India and Singapore
- LAILAT AL MIRAJ Muslim Festival celebrating ascent of Muhammad into Heaven
- JAPANESE NEW YEAR - 3 day festival
- LOHRI, the Hindu Bonfire Festival, celebrated early January
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...