Born On This Day:
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1749
- Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton, 1774
- James Wong Howe, 1899
- Charles Boyer, 1899
- Sir John Betjeman, 1906
- Roger Tory Peterson, 1908
- Donald O'Connor, 1925
- Ben Gazzara, 1930
- David Soul, 1943
- Ron Guidry, 1950
- Scott Hamilton, 1958
- Emma Samms, 1961
- Shania Twain, 1965
- Jason Priestley, 1969
Died On This Day:
- St. Augustine of Hippo, AD 430
- Hugo Grotius, 1645
- Father Junipero Serra, 1784
- Leigh Hunt, 1859
- King Boris III of Bulgaria, 1943
- Gracie Allen, 1964
- Prince William of Gloucester killed, 1972
- Bruce Catton, 1978
- Muhammad Naguib, 1984
- Ruth Gordon, 1985
- John Huston, 1987
- Max Shulman, 1988
- Joseph Alsop, 1989
- AD 476 - Romulus Augustulus becomes last Roman emperor; forced to abdicate by Barbarians.
- 1568 - Spaniards found St. Augustine in what is now Florida; oldest European settlement in America.
- 1609 - Henry Hudson discovers Delaware Bay.
- 1850 - Wagners 'Lohengrin' first performed at Weimar
- 1867 - U.S. occupies Midway Islands in Pacific.
- 1894 - 2% income tax in U.S. comes into force with Wilson Gorman tariff.
- 1916 - Italy declares war on Germany WW1.
- 1922 - World's first radio commercial for a property development company broadcast by WEAF N.Y.
- 1963 - Martin Luther King rallies 200,000 Blacks at Washington Monument and says 'I have a dream.'
- 2000 - Nestle of Switzerland agrees to contribute $14.6 million to atone for profits made from Nazi slaves.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Julian of Brioude
- Moses the Black
- Augustine of Hippo (died today A.D. 430)
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- Japanese visit graves of ancestors mid August
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God end of August
- FRIENDSHIP DAY - first Sunday in August in USA
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...