Born On This Day:
- Beatrix Potter, 1866
- Marcel Duchamp, 1887
- Harry Bridges, 1901
- Rudy Vallee, 1901
- David Brown, 1916
- Jackie Bouvier Kennedy Onassis, 1929
- Darryl Hickman, 1931
- Jacques d'Amboise, 1934
- Peter Duchin, 1937
- Philip Proctor, 1940
- Jim Davis, 1945
- Linda Kelsey, 1946
- Sally Struthers, 1946
- Vida Blue, 1949
- Hugo Chavez, 1954
Died On This Day:
- Thomas Cromwell beheaded, 1540
- Cyrano de Bergerac, 1655
- Antonio Vivaldi, 1741
- Johann Sebastian Bach, 1750
- Robespierre, Saint-Just, & nineteen other French revolutionaries guillotined, 1794
- Marie Dressler, 1934
- William James Mayo, 1939
- Helen Traubel, 1972
- Eileen Brennan, 2013
- AD 388 - Byzantines defeat Romans near Aquileia (Theodosius I winner, Maximus loser)
- 1540 - King Henry VIII marries his fifth wife, Catherine Howard.
- 1586 - First potatoes land in Britain at Plymouth aboard Sir Thomas Harriot's ship sailing from Colombia.
- 1656 - Battle of Warsaw begins.
- 1858 - French Photographer Gaspard Felix Tournachon, known as Nadar, takes world's first aerial photo from balloon Le Gant.
- 1868 - 3rd Maori war breaks out in New Zealand.
- 1868 - 14th Amendment ratified-no state to deprive life, liberty, property without due process.
- 1875 - Joe Borden of Philadelphia pitches world's first 9 inning no-hitter against Chicago.
- 1914 - WWI begins when Austria/Hungary declares war on Serbia.
- 1933 - Western Union's first singing telegram delivered to Rudy Vallee by Lucille Lipps.
- 1941 - Systematic murder of the Jews in Volkaviškis, near Polish Ukrainian border, begins; in 2010 Bernhard Frank confesses to signing orders but historians dispute his guilt.
- 1945 - B-25 bomber crashes into 78th floor of Empire State Building in New York killing 13.
- 1959 - Postcodes introduced in Britain.
- 1976 - Worst earthquake in modern history hits Tangshan China at 3:00 a.m. killing upwards of 750,000!
- 2005 - IRA announces end of 35-year war against England and intends to destroy weapons within 2 months.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Nazarius and Celsus
- Independence Day Peru (1821)
- JAGANNATH, RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- NEBUTA, Japanese Festival at peak of summer to drive off lethargy
- SOMA NOMAOI, Japanese Festival of samurai equestrian displays
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...