Born On This Day:
- Saint Teresa of Avila, 1515
- King George I, 1660
- Maxim Gorky, 1868
- Paul Whiteman, 1891
- Christian Herter, 1895
- Dame Flora Robson, 1902
- Rudolf Serkin, 1903
- Pandro Berman, 1905
- Marlin Perkins, 1905
- Irving 'Swifty' Lazar, 1907
- Nelson Algren, 1909
- Dennis O'Keefe, 1910
- Edmund Muskie, 1914
- Zbigniew Brzezinski, 1928
- Diane Wiest, 1948
- Reba McEntire, 1954
- Byron Scott, 1961
- Lady Gaga, 1986
Died On This Day:
- Roman Emperor Pertinax assassinated, AD 193
- Modest Mussorgsky, 1881
- Louis Phillippe-Robert duc d'Orleans, 1926
- Virginia Woolf suicide, 1941
- Sergei Rachmaninoff, 1943
- Stephen Leacock, 1944
- Jim Thorpe, 1953
- W. C. Handy, 1958
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1969
- Emmett Kelly, 1979
- Marc Chagall, 1985
- Maria von Trapp, 1987
- Eugene Ionesco, 1994
- Sir Peter Ustinov, 2004
- Caspar Weinberger, 2006
- June Havoc, 2010
- Earl Scruggs, 2012
- AD 193 - The whole world is auctioned off in Rome-Didius Julianus buys emperorship.
- 1797 - Nathaniel Briggs awarded a patent for the first washing machine.
- 1802 - Henrich Olbers discovers the second known asteroid after Ceres (Pallas).
- 1854 - Britain and France declare war on Russia signaling start of Crimean War.
- 1881 - P.T. Barnum and James A. Bailey merge their circuses to form the 'Greatest Show on Earth.'
- 1891 - World's first world championship weightlifting competition held at Café Monaco in London.
- 1895 - Construction begins on North America's first subway, Tremont Street, Boston.
- 1897 - Japan adopts the gold standard.
- 1920 - Mary Pickford weds Douglas Fairbanks.
- 1920 - Palm Sunday tornado hits Chicago and moves to the Deep South; 28 dead.
- 1930 - Constantinople becomes Istanbul, Angora becomes Ankara as Turkey renames cities.
- 1939 - Spanish Civil War ends as Franco conquers Madrid.
- 1941 - British naval victory over Italians at Battle of Matapan. WWII
- 1979 - Nuclear reactor at Three Mile Island, PA, has partial core meltdown starting at 4:00 a.m.
- 1984 - Tornadoes kill 67 in Carolinas.
- 1990 - Athlete Jesse Owens awarded the Congressional Gold Medal posthumously by President George H.W.Bush.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Seward's Day in Alaska
- Komensky Day in Czechoslovakia
- SHROVE TUESDAY. Day before Ash Wednesday. Also called Fastnacht (eve of the fast) in Germany, Carnival (farewell to meat) in Italy, Mardi Gras in Brazil and U.S. & Pancake Tuesday in Britain.
- ASH WEDNESDAY, moveable feast day celebrated 40 days (ex-Sundays) before Easter.
- PURIM or Feast of Lots (Jewish), celebrated on 14th or 15th of lunar month Adar.
- HOLI (Hindu festival of Spring), celebrated early March
- LENT, called Careme in France, Quaresima in Italy and the Great Fast in Eastern Orthodoxy. (between Feb and April)
- SUNDAY OF THE GREAT FIRES, first Sunday in Lent.
- CARLING SUNDAY, fifth Sunday in Lent celebrated in Britain
- TENG CHIEH, Feast of lanterns in China (Fifteenth day of the First Moon)
- PESACH or Passover (Jewish), begins 15th day of lunar month Nisan thru 22nd
- PALM SUNDAY, Sunday before Easter and first day of Holy Week.
- MAUNDY THURSDAY, Thursday before Easter
- GOOD FRIDAY, Friday before Easter
- LAILAT AL-QADR, I'D AL-FITR & IDU'L FITAR, Muslim Festivals
- EASTER (SUNDAY) (March to May) the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox (March 22-April 25) in Western churches
- CHING MING FESTIVAL & QING MING (Singapore), All Souls Day in Far East
- NOTE; EASTER is also called Ostern in Germany and Switzerland, Pasqua in Italy, Pascua Florida or Domingo de Gloria in Spain, Pâques in France, Velykos in Lithuania, Wielkanoc in Polish, Pasha in Greece, Påske in Norway, Påskdagen in Sweden, Zadig in Armenia, Paschen in The Netherlands, Paschoa in Portugal,
- EASTER MONDAY, Monday after Easter.
- RAMA-NAVAMI, Hindu Festival of Rama, celebrated at the end of March
- CH'ING MING, Festival of Pure Brightness in China (Beginning of second moon (about March 21)
- NAEFELSERFAHRT, Swiss pilgrimage the first Thursday in April to Näfels
- COMMONWEALTH DAY in Britain Second Monday in March
- MOTHERING SUNDAY - fourth Sunday of Lent celebrated in England
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...