Born On This Day:
- King Henry VII, 1457
- John Baskerville, 1706
- Alexander MacKenzie, 1822
- Gen. Charles Gordon, 1833
- Sir Henry Morton Stanley, 1841
- Jose Marti, 1853
- William Seward Burroughs, 1855
- Colette, 1873
- Arthur Rubinstein, 1887
- Ernst Lubitsch, 1892
- Jackson Pollock, 1912
- Ronnie Scott, 1927
- Claes Oldenburg, 1929
- Susan Sontag, 1933
- David Lodge, 1935
- Alan Alda, 1936
- Barbi Benton, 1950
- Nicolas Sarkozy, 1955
- Frank Skinner, 1957
Died On This Day:
- Holy Roman Emperor Charlemagne, AD 814
- King Henry VIII, 1547
- Sir Francis Drake, 1596
- Sir Thomas Bodley, 1612
- Pope Paul V, 1621
- William Burke executed, 1829
- William Butler Yeats, 1939
- Edward G. Robinson, 1973
- Billy Fury, 1983
- Harold 'Red' Grange, 1991
- Elroy "Crazylegs" Hirsch, 2004
- 1547 - Edward VI, age 9, succeeds his father, Henry VIII but rules only 6 years until death on 7/6/1553.
- 1788 - Penal colony at Botany Bay, New South Wales, founded.
- 1807 - London's Pall Mall becomes first street to be lit by gaslight.
- 1846 - Battle of Aliwal in first Sikh war between Britain and Sikhs.
- 1871 - Paris surrenders to German Army.
- 1878 - 'Yale News' becomes first college daily newspaper.
- 1887 - Huge snowflakes 15 inches across and 8 inches thick fall on Fort Keogh, Montana.
- 1896 - First fine for speeding in motorcar in England as motorist fined for exceeding 2 mph limit in town.
- 1914 - Beverly Hills incorporated; five square miles totally surrounded by Los Angeles.
- 1915 - U.S. Coast Guard created.
- 1916 - First Jewish person appointed justice of Supreme Court of American - Lewis Brandeis.
- 1935 - Iceland becomes first country to introduce abortion on medical/social grounds.
- 1986 - Space shuttle Challenger explodes 73 seconds after launch. 7 astronauts inc. Christa McAuliffe killed.
- 2010 - Bo language of the Andaman Islands becomes extinct with death of last speaker, Boa Sr, age 85.
- 2016 - The World Health Organization reveals outbreak of the Zika virus in Caribbean and South American countries.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Peter Nolasco
- Valerius of Saragossa
- Zoroaster founder of Pavisi Religion.
- YÜAN TAN. Chinese New Year's Day. Based on lunar calendar - starts sunset on day of 2nd New Moon.
- CHINESE LANTERN FESTIVAL 15th day of first month of lunar calendar marks end of Chinese New Year.
- TU BI-SHEBAT (Judaism) New Year for Trees, celebrated on 15th of lunar month Shebat.
- MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY 3rd Monday in January
- ADULTS DAY in Japan - second Monday in January - 'Seijin no hi'
- SNOW FESTIVAL - Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God
- VASANT PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of Spring and of Saraswati, Goddess of Learning (end of January)
- PONGAL AND MAKARA SANKRANTI, mid-January, Harvest festival celebrated in Southern India and Singapore
- LAILAT AL MIRAJ Muslim Festival celebrating ascent of Muhammad into Heaven
- JAPANESE NEW YEAR - 3 day festival
- LOHRI, the Hindu Bonfire Festival, celebrated early January
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...