Born On This Day:
- Saint Francis of Paola, 1416
- Louis XVII France, 1785
- Wilhelm von Roentgen, 1845
- Edward Steichen, 1879
- Mies van der Rohe, 1886
- Gloria Swanson, 1899
- James Callaghan, 1912
- Budd Schulberg, 1914
- Dick King-Smith, 1922
- Sarah Vaughan, 1924
- Mstislav Rostropovich, 1927
- David Janssen, 1931
- Michael York, 1942
- Xuxa, 1963
- Quentin Tarantino, 1963
- Mariah Carey, 1970
Died On This Day:
- Pope Gregory XI, 1378
- King James (VI Scotland) I of England, 1625
- Giovani Tiepolo, 1770
- John Bright, 1889
- Sir James Dewar, 1923
- Arnold Bennett, 1931
- Yuri Gagarin killed, 1968
- Anita Colby, 1992
- Ferdinand Porsche, 1998
- Billy Wilder, 2002
- Milton Berle, 2002
- Dudley Moore, 2002
- Farley Granger, 2011
- 1309 - Pope Clement V excommunicates the entire population of Venice
- 1782 - British Home Office created.
- 1794 - U.S. Navy founded and the government authorizes six frigates to be constructed
- 1836 - First Mormon temple dedicated in Kirtland, Ohio.
- 1851 - The Mariposa Battalion enters Yosemite Valley to subdue native American people; first non-Indians to view the beauty.
- 1855 - The process for making kerosene patented by inventor Dr. Abraham Gesner.
- 1860 - The corkscrew patented by M. L. Byrn of New York.
- 1890 - Universal suffrage in Spain.
- 1901 - Marconi transmits first Morse code message by radio from England to France.
- 1912 - First Japanese cherry trees planted in Washington, D.C.
- 1933 - Polythene discovered at ICI labs in Northwich, Cheshire by Reginald Gibson and Eric William Fawcett.
- 1933 - Japan resigns from League of Nations.
- 1964 - 8.9 Alaskan Good Friday earthquake kills 118, $300 million damage to Anchorage.
- 1977 - Two jumbo jets collide on runway at Tenerife, Canary Islands killing 583, worst aviation disaster.
- 1980 - Mount St. Helens, WA, erupts for first time since 1857.
- 1980 - Hunt Brothers attempt to corner the silver market sinks silver prices causing panic on futures exchanges.
- 1998 - US Food and Drug Administration approves Viagra for erectile disfunction; drug launched 4/10.
- 2020 - Largest single legislative measure passed by Congress - coronavirus stimulus bill worth $2 trillion!
Feast Day of Saint:
- John the Egyptian
- Rupert of Salzburg
- John of Damascus
- SHROVE TUESDAY. Day before Ash Wednesday. Also called Fastnacht (eve of the fast) in Germany, Carnival (farewell to meat) in Italy, Mardi Gras in Brazil and U.S. & Pancake Tuesday in Britain.
- ASH WEDNESDAY, moveable feast day celebrated 40 days (ex-Sundays) before Easter.
- PURIM or Feast of Lots (Jewish), celebrated on 14th or 15th of lunar month Adar.
- HOLI (Hindu festival of Spring), celebrated early March
- LENT, called Careme in France, Quaresima in Italy and the Great Fast in Eastern Orthodoxy. (between Feb and April)
- SUNDAY OF THE GREAT FIRES, first Sunday in Lent.
- CARLING SUNDAY, fifth Sunday in Lent celebrated in Britain
- TENG CHIEH, Feast of lanterns in China (Fifteenth day of the First Moon)
- PESACH or Passover (Jewish), begins 15th day of lunar month Nisan thru 22nd
- PALM SUNDAY, Sunday before Easter and first day of Holy Week.
- MAUNDY THURSDAY, Thursday before Easter
- GOOD FRIDAY, Friday before Easter
- LAILAT AL-QADR, I'D AL-FITR & IDU'L FITAR, Muslim Festivals
- EASTER (SUNDAY) (March to May) the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox (March 22-April 25) in Western churches
- CHING MING FESTIVAL & QING MING (Singapore), All Souls Day in Far East
- NOTE; EASTER is also called Ostern in Germany and Switzerland, Pasqua in Italy, Pascua Florida or Domingo de Gloria in Spain, Pâques in France, Velykos in Lithuania, Wielkanoc in Polish, Pasha in Greece, Påske in Norway, Påskdagen in Sweden, Zadig in Armenia, Paschen in The Netherlands, Paschoa in Portugal,
- EASTER MONDAY, Monday after Easter.
- RAMA-NAVAMI, Hindu Festival of Rama, celebrated at the end of March
- CH'ING MING, Festival of Pure Brightness in China (Beginning of second moon (about March 21)
- NAEFELSERFAHRT, Swiss pilgrimage the first Thursday in April to Näfels
- COMMONWEALTH DAY in Britain Second Monday in March
- MOTHERING SUNDAY - fourth Sunday of Lent celebrated in England
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...