Born On This Day:
- Ralph Waldo Emerson, 1803
- Bill 'Bojangles' Robinson, 1878
- Lord Beaverbrook, 1879
- Béla Bartók, 1881
- Igor Sikorsky, 1889
- Josip Broz Tito, 1892
- Gene Tunney, 1897
- Bennett Cerf, 1898
- Rev. Theodore M. Hesburgh, 1917
- Claude Akins, 1918
- Jeanne Crain, 1925
- Miles Davis, 1926
- Robert Ludlum, 1927
- Beverly Sills, 1929
- John Gregory Dunne, 1932
- Ian McKellen, 1939
- Dixie Carter, 1939
- Leslie Uggams, 1943
- Jessi Colter, 1943
- Connie Selleca, 1955
- Mike Myers, 1963
Died On This Day:
- Pope Gregory VII, 1085
- Pedro Calderon, 1681
- Edouard de Laboulaye, 1885
- Henrik Ibsen, 1906
- Gustav Holst, 1934
- Robert Capa killed, 1954
- Chester Bowles, 1986
- Ismail Merchant, 2005
- Charles Nelson Reilly, 2007
- Claus von Bulow, 2019
- AD 597 - Trad. date of arrival of St. Augustine in Britain from Rome to convert the Anglos and Saxons.
- 1768 - Captain James Cook sets sail on first voyage of discovery-maps coasts of NZ & Australia.
- 1780 - Mutiny of soldiers of George Washington's Continental Army at Morristown, N.J. quelled.
- 1895 - Oscar Wilde sentenced to 2 years imprisonment for homosexuality. (Arrested 6 April)
- 1921 - First woman British barrister qualified.
- 1935 - Jesse Owens breaks 4 world's track records in 45 minutes and matches 2 others at Ann Arbor, MI.
- 1935 - Babe Ruth hits the last homerun of his career, his 714th at Forbes Field, Boston.
- 1940 - Crypt of Civilization time capsule sealed at Ogilthorpe Univ., Atlanta; to be opened 5/28/8113.
- 1950 - First passenger cars allowed on new Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel in New York City.
- 1953 - World's first atomic shell fired in Nevada.
- 1961 - President John F. Kennedy asks congress to approve program to send man to the moon.
- 1963 - Formation of the Organization of African Unity.
- 1965 - Cassius Clay retains title by knocking out Sonny Liston in one minute at Lewiston, Maine.
- 1976 - George Lucas's 'Star Wars' opens across America.
- 1985 - Hurricane kills over 11,000 people in Bangladesh.
- 1991 - Entire Jewish population of Ethiopia airlifted to Israel in biggest airlift ever; 14,500 in 35 hours.
- 2010 - Two million people gather at the 9 de Julio Avenue in Buenos Aires to celebrate Bicentennial of the May Revolution.
- 2011 - Oprah Winfrey's most-watched daytime talk show comes to an end after 25 years (4,561 shows) on CBS TV.
- 2012 - Massacre of 49 children and 59 adults in Housa, Syria by Assad government soldiers begins.
- 2020 - Killing of African American man George Floyd by police in Minneapolis touches off racial protests around America defying coronavirus quarantines.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Gregory VII
- Madeleine Sophie
- The Three Marys
- Independence Day Jordan (1946)
- African Freedom Day celebrated in Chad & Zambia
- VESAK (Commemoration of birth, enlightenment and death of Buddha) celebrated Southeast Asia.
- MOTHER'S DAY (U.S.), second Sunday in May
- FESTIVAL OF JOAN OF ARC in France, second Sunday in May
- MEMORIAL DAY (U.S.), Last Monday in May
- PROCESSION OF THE HOLY BLOOD in Belgium on first Monday after May 2.
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- ASCENSION DAY (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTACOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- I'D AL-HAJJ, Muslim Festival
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- BUDDHA PURNIMA, Hindu Festival, celebrated early May
- GANGA DASSHERA, Hindu Festival, celebrated end of May
- ARMED FORCES DAY in US - third Saturday in May
- NATIONAL DAY OF PRAYER in US - first Thursday in May
- NATIONAL DEFENSE TRANSPORTATION DAY - third Friday in May in US
- NATIONAL TEACHER'S DAY - Tuesday in the first full week in May in US
- VICTORIA DAY - first Monday before May 25, celebrating Queen Victoria's birthday in Canada
- WESAK FESTIVAL celebrated in the eastern hemisphere at the Taurus full moon, beginning of May
- GOODWILL FESTIVAL celebrated at the Gemini full moon, end of May
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...