Born On This Day:
- Robert Boyle, 1627
- Robert Burns, 1759
- Somerset Maugham, 1874
- Virginia Woolf, 1882
- Mildred Dunnock, 1906
- Edwin Newman, 1919
- Eduard Shevardnadze, 1928
- Corazon Aquino, 1933
- Dean Jones, 1936
- Etta James, 1938
- Alicia Keys, 1981
Died On This Day:
- Pope Gregory IV, AD 844
- Pope Anacletos II, 1138
- Amadeo Modigliani, 1920
- Al Capone, 1947
- Ava Gardner, 1990
- John Hurt, 2017
- Mary Tyler Moore, 2017
- 1327 - King Edward III accedes to the throne of England.
- 1533 - Henry VIII weds a pregnant Anne Boleyn despite still being legally married to Catherine of Aragon.
- 1787 - 1100 farmers in Massachusetts march on Springfield arsenal seeking reforms in Shay's Rebellion.
- 1839 - First photographic negative published by W.H. Fox-Talbot.
- 1915 - Cross-country phone service starts with call from Alexander Graham Bell in N.Y. to Watson in S.F.
- 1924 - Winter Olympics inaugurated.
- 1934 - Bank robber John Dillinger captured in Tucson, AZ
- 1945 - Grand Rapids, MI becomes first city to fluoridate its public water supply.
- 1945 - Audie Murphy earns Metal of Honor in Holtzwihr, France by holding off advance of Germans.
- 1949 - Emmy Awards first presented in Hollywood for television excellence; 'Pantomime Quiz' is winner.
- 1971 - Idi Amin deposes Milton Obote.
- 1973 - Life Magazine ends publication after 36 years.
- 1981 - 52 U.S. hostages return home from Iran after 444 days in captivity.
- 2011 - Inspired by recent public revolt in Tunisia, Egyptians demonstrate nationwide against 30 year-old Mubarak regime.
- 2017 - Dow Jones slides over 20,000 for first time, only 64 days after hitting 19,000.
- 2019 - Longest US government shutdown in history, 35 days, ends with President Trump granting a three week period to negotiate border security.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Juventinus and Maximinus
- Praejectus or Prix
- Robert Burns Day celebrated in Scotland
- YÜAN TAN. Chinese New Year's Day. Based on lunar calendar - starts sunset on day of 2nd New Moon.
- CHINESE LANTERN FESTIVAL 15th day of first month of lunar calendar marks end of Chinese New Year.
- TU BI-SHEBAT (Judaism) New Year for Trees, celebrated on 15th of lunar month Shebat.
- MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY 3rd Monday in January
- ADULTS DAY in Japan - second Monday in January - 'Seijin no hi'
- SNOW FESTIVAL - Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God
- VASANT PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of Spring and of Saraswati, Goddess of Learning (end of January)
- PONGAL AND MAKARA SANKRANTI, mid-January, Harvest festival celebrated in Southern India and Singapore
- LAILAT AL MIRAJ Muslim Festival celebrating ascent of Muhammad into Heaven
- JAPANESE NEW YEAR - 3 day festival
- LOHRI, the Hindu Bonfire Festival, celebrated early January
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...