Born On This Day:
- Emperor Vitellius, AD 14
- Horace Walpole, 1717
- Grigory Potemkin, 1739
- F. Scott Fitzgerald, 1896
- Konstantin Chernenko, 1911
- Sheila MacRae, 1924
- Anthony Newley, 1931
- Jim Henson, 1936
- Linda McCartney, 1941
- 'Mean' Joe Green, 1946
- Nia Vardalos, 1962
Died On This Day:
- Pope Innocent II, 1143
- Vincenzo Bellini, 1834
- Peter IV Portugal, 1834
- Johann Strauss (the elder), 1849
- Peter Carl Faberge, 1920
- Jacob H. Schiff, 1920
- Ruth Etting, 1978
- Sarah Churchill, 1982
- Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss), 1991
- Herb Gardner, 2003
- Francoise Sagan, 2004
- 1598 - Group of merchants in London raise £30,133 and meet to form corporation that would become the British East India Company.
- 1776 - St. Leger horse race first run.1789-Congress passes act to create office of Attorney General; E.J. Randolph to get job on 26th.
- 1789 - John Jay appointed Chief Justice of the Supreme Court by George Washington; to serve six years.
- 1806 - Lewis and Clark expedition's triumphant return to St. Louis.
- 1834 - Maria II of Portugal succeeds Peter IV.
- 1852 - French engineer Henri Giffard makes first flight in steam powered airship.
- 1869 - American financial disaster-plummeting gold prices cause panic of 'Black Friday.'
- 1929 - Aviator Jimmy Doolittle demonstrates first 'blind' takeoff and landing using only instruments.
- 1930 - Noel Coward's 'Private Lives' opens in London with Coward and Gertrude Lawrence.
- 1930 - Kaufman & Hart's 'Once in a Lifetime' starts 406 performance run on Broadway.
- 1934 - Babe Ruth plays last baseball game for the New York Yankees at Yankee Stadium.
- 1957 - Army paratroopers sent to Little Rock, Arkansas to enforce desegregation of Central High School.
- 1963 - First authorized photograph taken of the United States Senate in session.
- 1968 - '60 Minutes,' news magazine, premieres on CBS Television with Mike Wallace and Harry Reasoner.
- 1996 - World major nuclear powers sign treaty to end all testing of nuclear weapons.
- 2015 - 2,411 kiled during a stampede at the Hajj pilgrimage in Mecca; 900 injured, 650 missing.
Feast Day of Saint:
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- LABOR DAY (U.S. and Canada) First Monday in September.
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- BIRTHDAY OF KRSNA. (Hindu)
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- ROSH HASHANA (Jewish New Year) first and second days of lunar month Tishri.
- YOM KIPPUR (Jewish Day of Atonement) tenth day of lunar month Tishri.
- SUKKOTH (Jewish Feast of Tabernacles) 15th day of lunar month Tishri - five days after Yom Kippur
- SIMCHAT TORAH (Jewish Rejoicing of the Law) 23rd day of Tishri
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CH'IU CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- OWARA KAZE NO BON, HACHIMAN & DOBUROKU MATSURI harvest festivals in Japan
- NATIONAL GRANDPARENTS' DAY - first Sunday after Labor Day in USA
- NATIVE AMERICAN DAY - fourth Friday in September in US
- RAMADAN, Muslim Holy Month
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...