Born On This Day:
- John Hancock, 1737
- Stendhal, 1783
- Edouard Manet, 1832
- Sergei Eisenstein, 1898
- Humphrey Bogart, 1899
- Randolph Scott, 1904
- Dan Duryea, 1907
- David Douglas Duncan, 1916
- Ernie Kovacs, 1919
- Jeanne Moreau, 1928
- Chita Rivera, 1933
- Rutger Hauer, 1944
- Princess Caroline of Monaco, 1957
Died On This Day:
- Emperor Otto III, 1002
- John Cleland, 1789
- William Pitt the younger, 1806
- Thomas Love Peacock, 1866
- Charles Kingsley, 1875
- Gustave Doré, 1883
- Anna Pavlova, 1931
- Alexander Woollcott, 1943
- Edvard Munch, 1944
- Alexander Korda, 1956
- Kid Ory, 1973
- Paul Robeson, 1976
- Toots Shor, 1977
- Jack Oakie, 1978
- Samuel Barber, 1981
- James Beard, 1985
- Salvador Dalí, 1989
- Nell Carter, 2003
- Helmut Newton killed, 2004
- Captain Kangaroo (Bob Keeshan) , 2004
- Johnny Carson, 2005
- E. Howard Hunt, 2007
- Jack LaLanne, 2011
- Hugh Masekela, 2018
- 1556 - 830,000 killed in earthquake in China provinces of Shensi and Honan.
- 1719 - Principality of Liechtenstein constituted.
- 1790 - Fletcher Christian and mutineers from the Bounty reach Pitcairn Island where they settle.
- 1849 - British native Elizabeth Blackwell becomes first woman doctor to receive M.D. degree in America.
- 1893 - Eleanora Duse makes U.S. debut in 'La Dame aux Camelias.'
- 1924 - First Labour Government formed in England with Ramsay MacDonald as Prime Minister.
- 1933 - 20th Amendment to U.S. Constitution ratified; date of presidential inauguration fixed at Jan. 20th.
- 1943 - Tripoli captured by British.
- 1960 - Don Walsh and Jacques Piccard become the first (and only) people to reach the deepest point on earth - Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench of the western Pacific.
- 1964 - 24th Amendment to U.S. Constitution eliminates poll taxes.
- 1964 - First heart transplant-on Chimp.
- 1997 - Madeleine Albright becomes first woman Secretary of State in the U.S.A.
- 2013 - Second biggest blizzard in history hits Northeast US. Glengary West Virginia gets rerecord 42 inches of snow.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Raymond of Penafort
- John the Almsgiver
- YÜAN TAN. Chinese New Year's Day. Based on lunar calendar - starts sunset on day of 2nd New Moon.
- CHINESE LANTERN FESTIVAL 15th day of first month of lunar calendar marks end of Chinese New Year.
- TU BI-SHEBAT (Judaism) New Year for Trees, celebrated on 15th of lunar month Shebat.
- MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY 3rd Monday in January
- ADULTS DAY in Japan - second Monday in January - 'Seijin no hi'
- SNOW FESTIVAL - Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God
- VASANT PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of Spring and of Saraswati, Goddess of Learning (end of January)
- PONGAL AND MAKARA SANKRANTI, mid-January, Harvest festival celebrated in Southern India and Singapore
- LAILAT AL MIRAJ Muslim Festival celebrating ascent of Muhammad into Heaven
- JAPANESE NEW YEAR - 3 day festival
- LOHRI, the Hindu Bonfire Festival, celebrated early January
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...