Born On This Day:
- Emperor Maximilian I, 1459
- Van Dyck, 1599
- Chico Marx, 1891
- Louis L'Amour, 1908
- Nicholas Monsarrat, 1910
- Karl Malden, 1913
- Werner Klemperer, 1920
- Marcel Marceau, 1923
- Stephen Sondheim, 1930
- Rev. Pat Robertson, 1930
- William Shatner, 1931
- Mai Britt, 1933
- George Benson, 1943
- James Patterson, 1947
- Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber, 1948
- Stephanie Mills, 1957
- Matthew Modine, 1959
- Reese Witherspoon, 1976
Died On This Day:
- Stephen Decatur killed, 1820
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1832
- Mike Todd killed, 1958
- Karl Wallenda killed, 1978
- Dave Guard, 1991
- Walter Lantz, 1994
- 1622 - Algonquin Indians massacre 347 white English settlers at Jamestown, VA.
- 1630 - Gambling banned in Boston by Massachusetts Bay Colony; all cards, dice or gaming tables must be destroyed.
- 1739 - Shah of Iran, Nadir Shah plunders Delhi, kills 30,000 Indians, and steals treasure trove including the Koh-i-Noor diamond.
- 1765 - The Stamp Act, tax imposed on America by Britain, signed; colonists under Patrick Henry opposed.
- 1791 - US Congress forbids slave trade with foreign nations.
- 1847 - Siege of Vera Cruz, Mexico begins; 10,000 troops under Winfield Scott in first amphibious operation.
- 1873 - Slavery abolished in Puerto Rico by the Spanish National Assembly.
- 1882 - U.S. Congress outlaws polygamy.
- 1893 - First public women's basketball game played at Smith College, Northampton, Massachusetts.
- 1895 - Lumiere brothers give first demonstration of motion pictures at the Salon Indien du Grand Cafe, Paris.
- 1904 - First color photograph published in London's Daily Illustrated Mirror.
- 1919 - First international airline service - weekly flights between Paris and Brussels - inaugurated.
- 1945 - Arab league founded at Cairo. Egypt, Iraq, Lebanon, Saudi, Syria, Trans Jordan join.
- 1946 - Transjordan recognized as sovereign independent state by Britain.
- 1960 - First patent on lasers received by Arthur Schawlow of NJ and Charles Hard Townes of NY.
- 1993 - Intel launches its Pentium processor with 3.1 million transistors and a maximum speed of 66 MHz.
- 2016 - Deadliest terror attacks in Belgium: Three suicide bombings kill 32 and injure 300 at airport and metro station; ISIS does it again.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Spring Day Festival in Albania
- Arab League Day celebrated in Jordan
- SHROVE TUESDAY. Day before Ash Wednesday. Also called Fastnacht (eve of the fast) in Germany, Carnival (farewell to meat) in Italy, Mardi Gras in Brazil and U.S. & Pancake Tuesday in Britain.
- ASH WEDNESDAY, moveable feast day celebrated 40 days (ex-Sundays) before Easter.
- PURIM or Feast of Lots (Jewish), celebrated on 14th or 15th of lunar month Adar.
- HOLI (Hindu festival of Spring), celebrated early March
- LENT, called Careme in France, Quaresima in Italy and the Great Fast in Eastern Orthodoxy. (between Feb and April)
- SUNDAY OF THE GREAT FIRES, first Sunday in Lent.
- CARLING SUNDAY, fifth Sunday in Lent celebrated in Britain
- TENG CHIEH, Feast of lanterns in China (Fifteenth day of the First Moon)
- PESACH or Passover (Jewish), begins 15th day of lunar month Nisan thru 22nd
- PALM SUNDAY, Sunday before Easter and first day of Holy Week.
- MAUNDY THURSDAY, Thursday before Easter
- GOOD FRIDAY, Friday before Easter
- LAILAT AL-QADR, I'D AL-FITR & IDU'L FITAR, Muslim Festivals
- EASTER (SUNDAY) (March to May) the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox (March 22-April 25) in Western churches
- CHING MING FESTIVAL & QING MING (Singapore), All Souls Day in Far East
- NOTE; EASTER is also called Ostern in Germany and Switzerland, Pasqua in Italy, Pascua Florida or Domingo de Gloria in Spain, Pâques in France, Velykos in Lithuania, Wielkanoc in Polish, Pasha in Greece, Påske in Norway, Påskdagen in Sweden, Zadig in Armenia, Paschen in The Netherlands, Paschoa in Portugal,
- EASTER MONDAY, Monday after Easter.
- RAMA-NAVAMI, Hindu Festival of Rama, celebrated at the end of March
- CH'ING MING, Festival of Pure Brightness in China (Beginning of second moon (about March 21)
- NAEFELSERFAHRT, Swiss pilgrimage the first Thursday in April to Näfels
- COMMONWEALTH DAY in Britain Second Monday in March
- MOTHERING SUNDAY - fourth Sunday of Lent celebrated in England
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...