Born On This Day:
- King John V Portugal, 1689
- Franz Liszt, 1811
- Sarah Bernhardt, 1844
- John Reed, 1887
- Joan Fontaine, 1917
- Doris Lessing, 1919
- Timothy Leary, 1920
- Dory Previn, 1925
- Robert Rauschenberg, 1925
- Christopher Lloyd, 1938
- Derek Jacobi, 1938
- Tony Roberts, 1939
- Annette Funicello, 1942
- Catherine Deneuve, 1943
- Jeff Goldblum, 1952
- Brian Boitano, 1963
Died On This Day:
- King Ferdinand I Portugal, 1383
- Thomas Sheraton, 1806
- Paul Cézanne, 1906
- WNP Barbellion (Bruce Frederick Cummings), 1919
- Pretty Boy Floyd shot, 1934
- Pablo Casals, 1973
- Arnold Joseph Toynbee, 1975
- Red Barber, 1992
- Kingsley Amis, 1995
- Eric Ambler, 1998
- Arthur Hill, 2006
- Soupy Sales, 2009
- AD 451 - The council of Chalcedon, in its fifth session, draws up a creed defining the nature of the divinity of Jesus.
- 1721 - Official birthday of the Russian Revolution.
- 1797 - First ever parachute jump by André Jacques Garnerin from 3,600 feet over Paris.
- 1836 - Samuel Houston sworn in as first president of the Republic of Texas having been elected 9/5 .
- 1883 - Metropolitan Opera House opens in New York at Broadway & 39th with Gounod's 'Faust.'
- 1884 - At Meridian Conference in Washington D.C. 25 nations agree to make Greenwich 'the home of time.'
- 1907 - Run on Knickerbocker Trust Company by thousands of frightened depositors starts Panic of 1907.
- 1909 - A year and a day before Blanche Scott, Elise Deroche becomes first woman to make solo flight.
- 1910 - Dr. Crippin convicted of murdering his wife.
- 1938 - Inventor Chester Carlson produces first dry or xerographic copy, but couldn't interest investors.
- 1948 - Xerox introduces its copier 10 years after it was invented by Chester Carlson.
- 1962 - Start of the Cuban missile crisis; President John F. Kennedy demands removal of Soviet missiles.
- 1975 - Juan Carlos proclaimed Emperor of Spain.
- 1996 - The world ended today according to the prediction of Irish Archbishop James Ussher. (See tomorrow)
- 2002 - Turks and Caicos Islands abolishes death penalty; Now no one on Brit soil can be sentenced to death.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Philip of Heraclea
- Donatus of Fiesole
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CHI'U CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- DIVALI (India) five day autumn festival.
- BHRATRI DWITYA, Hindu Festival of Brothers
- RAMADAN, Muslim holy month
- CHILD HEALTH DAY - first Monday in October in USA
- COLUMBUS DAY - first Monday in October
- DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ENDS - last Sunday in October set clocks back
- MOTHER-IN-LAW DAY - celebrated fourth Sunday in October in US
- NATIONAL CHILDREN'S DAY - second Sunday in October in USA
- THANKSGIVING DAY IN CANADA - second Monday in October
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...