Born On This Day:
- Czar Ivan III the Great of Russia, 1440
- Francis Bacon, 1561
- André-Marie Ampere, 1775
- Lord Byron (George Noel Gordon), 1788
- August Strindberg, 1849
- D.W. Griffith, 1875
- U. Thant, 1909
- Ann Sothern, 1909
- William Warfield, 1920
- Ingemar Johansson, 1932
- Piper Laurie, 1932
- Bill Bixby, 1934
- Sam Cooke, 1935
- Joseph Wambaugh, 1937
- John Hurt, 1940
- George Foreman, 1948
- Linda Blair, 1959
- Michael Hutchence, 1960
Died On This Day:
- Queen Victoria, 1901
- Pope Benedict XV (Giacomo Della Chiesa), 1922
- Lyndon B. Johnson, 1973
- Telly Savalas, 1994
- Rose Kennedy, 1995
- Bill Mauldin, 2003
- Ann Miller, 2004
- Heath Ledger, 2008
- Jean Simmons, 2010
- 1789 - First American novel published in Boston: 'The Power of Sympathy' by Philenia.
- 1879 - 1,300 British killed by Zulus in Transvaal; solar eclipse at 1:02 p.m. in mid battle aids Zulus.
- 1901 - Edward VII ascends throne upon death of Queen Victoria.
- 1905 - Bloody Sunday in St. Petersburg begins the first Russian Revolution; general strike to be called.
- 1943 - Allied forces take New Guinea in first win over Japanese in WWII; 3,000 allies die, 7,000 Japanese.
- 1944 - Anzio landing in Italy begins.
- 1947 - First TV station west of the Mississippi, KTLA Los Angeles, begins broadcasting.
- 1953 - Arthur Miller's 'The Crucible' opens at Martin Beck Theatre, N.Y.
- 1955 - World snooker champ Fred Davis scores first official total break of 147 at Leicester Square, London.
- 1968 - Rowan and Martin's 'Laugh-In' starts regular television run.
- 1973 - Supreme Court decides women have a constitutional right to abortion in settlement of Roe vs. Wade.
- 1973 - George Foreman becomes heavyweight boxing champ beating Joe Frazier at Kingston, Jamaica.
- 2001 - KMart files biggest retail Chapter 11 bankruptcy in history.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Anastasius the Persian
- Vincent Pallotti
- Vincent of Saragossa
- YÜAN TAN. Chinese New Year's Day. Based on lunar calendar - starts sunset on day of 2nd New Moon.
- CHINESE LANTERN FESTIVAL 15th day of first month of lunar calendar marks end of Chinese New Year.
- TU BI-SHEBAT (Judaism) New Year for Trees, celebrated on 15th of lunar month Shebat.
- MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY 3rd Monday in January
- ADULTS DAY in Japan - second Monday in January - 'Seijin no hi'
- SNOW FESTIVAL - Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God
- VASANT PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of Spring and of Saraswati, Goddess of Learning (end of January)
- PONGAL AND MAKARA SANKRANTI, mid-January, Harvest festival celebrated in Southern India and Singapore
- LAILAT AL MIRAJ Muslim Festival celebrating ascent of Muhammad into Heaven
- JAPANESE NEW YEAR - 3 day festival
- LOHRI, the Hindu Bonfire Festival, celebrated early January
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...