Born On This Day:
- Saint Philip Neri, 1515
- Paul Julius von Reuter, 1816
- Hart Crane, 1899
- Ernest Hemingway, 1899
- Marshall McLuhan, 1911
- Isaac Stern, 1920
- Don Knotts, 1924
- Norman Jewison, 1926
- Jonathan Miller, 1934
- Janet Reno, 1938
- Edward Herrmann, 1943
- Cat Stevens (Yusef Islam), 1947
- Garry Trudeau, 1949
- Robin Williams, 1952
- Jon Lovitz, 1957
Died On This Day:
- Sir Henry Percy (Hotspur), 1403
- Robert Burns, 1796
- Robert G. Ingersoll, 1899
- Ellen Terry, 1928
- Basil Rathbone, 1967
- Dave Garroway suicide, 1982
- Joseph E. Levine, 1987
- Robert Young, 1998
- David Ogilvy, 1999
- E. L. Doctorow, 2015
- 1403 - Henry IV defeats the Percys at the battle of Shrewsbury.
- 1595 - Marquesas Islands discovered by Alvaro Mendana.
- 1667 - Dutch cede New Netherland (America) to England ending the Second Anglo-Dutch War.
- 1798 - Napoleon becomes master of Egypt at Battle of Pyramids; invents divisional square tactic.
- 1831 - Prince Leopold I of Saxe-Coburg proclaimed first King of the Belgians as Belgium breaks from Netherlands.
- 1853 - 843 acres of central Manhattan set aside for Central Park.
- 1861 - First battle of Bull Run-indecisive Confederate victory in Civil War.
- 1873 - The American West's first authentic train robbery-James Younger gang near Adair Iowa.
- 1897 - Tate Gallery opens in London, 67 paintings of Sir Henry Tate on the site of Millbank prison by Thames.
- 1931 - RCA's television station W2RBX broadcasts first scheduled TV show: Kate Smith sings.
- 1944 - Americans occupy Guam.
- 1954 - End of France war in Indochina.
- 1960 - World's first woman premier sworn in: Mrs. Sirimavo Bandaranaike of Ceylon.
- 1969 - Apollo 11's Neil Armstrong becomes first man to walk on moon at 02:56:15 GMT "One small step for man..."
- 1972 - Bloody Friday in Belfast - IRA explodes 21 bombs killing 9 injuring 130; IRA apologizes 30 yrs later.
- 1976 - British ambassador to Ireland killed by land mine.
- 2002 - Phone company Worldcom files for bankruptcy, second largest in history.
- 2007 - At 12:01 a.m. the seventh and final Harry Potter book is released around the world and becomes the fastest selling book in history.
- 2011 - NASA's Space Shuttle Atlantis lands before dawn; the end of the Space Shuttle program after 30 years and 135 flights.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Victor of Marseilles
- Lawrence of Brindisi
- National Independence Day Belgium (1831)
- Liberation Day celebrated in Guam
- JAGANNATH, RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- NEBUTA, Japanese Festival at peak of summer to drive off lethargy
- SOMA NOMAOI, Japanese Festival of samurai equestrian displays
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...