Born On This Day:
- Jean Racine, 1639
- Benjamin Disraeli, 1804
- Albert Payson Terhune, 1872
- Joseph Stalin, 1879
- Walter Hagen, 1892
- George W. Ball, 1909
- Kurt Waldheim, 1918
- Donald Regan, 1918
- Paul Winchell, 1922
- Phil Donohue, 1935
- Jane Fonda, 1937
- Frank Zappa, 1940
- Michael Tilson Thomas, 1944
- Carl Wilson, 1946
- Samuel L. Jackson, 1948
- Chris Evert, 1954
- Ray Romano, 1957
Died On This Day:
- F. Scott Fitzgerald, 1940
- General George Patton killed, 1945
- Jack Benny, 1974
- Marc Connelly, 1980
- Stella Adler, 1992
- 1624 - First Swedish colony in America granted but no takers until 1638.
- 1911 - Illinois Supreme Court is first to rule that fingerprints are admissible as evidence.
- 1913 - World's first crossword puzzle, by Arthur Wynne, is published in New York World; 32 clues.
- 1930 - Times of London publishes its first crossword puzzle six years after the Sunday Express.
- 1937 - Disney's 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs,' world's first animated feature film, premieres at the Carthay Circle Theater in Hollywood.
- 1948 - Ireland declares itself a republic, rather than British dominion; withdraws from Commonwealth.
- 1958 - Charles de Gaulle elected President of France.
- 1968 - Apollo 8 launched towards the moon.
- 1988 - Libyan terrorist bomb kills 259 on London/NY Pan Am flight 103 at 7:03 p.m.; crashes in Scottish village, Lockerbie.
- 2005 - First civil marriages for same-sex couples performed in register offices in England and Wales.
- 2012 - Mayan calendar goes into the next b'ak'tun or cycle; new agers misinterpret this as a belief that the world will end.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Forefather's Day in New England commemorating the Mayflower landing at Plymouth in 1620
- ADVENT SUNDAY, Sunday nearest to feast of Saint Andrew (Nov. 30) whether before or after.
- CHANUKKA (Jewish Feast of Lights), eight day holiday beginning on 25th day of lunar month Kislev.
- TSAO CHÜN, Festival of the Kitchen God in China (23rd day of the twelfth moon (or 24th in Kwantung)
- CH'U HSI, Night of the Thirtieth (29th day of the twelfth moon)
- KWANZAA - African American Heritage celebrated December 26 - January 1
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...