Born On This Day:
- Mohammed, AD 570
- Benjamin Harrison, 1833
- H. P. Lovecraft, 1890
- Jack Teagarden, 1905
- Eero Saarinen, 1910
- Jacqueline Susann, 1921
- Don King, 1931
- Slobodan Milosevic, 1941
- Isaac Hayes, 1942
- Rajiv Gandhi, 1944
- Connie Chung, 1946
- Robert Plant, 1948
Died On This Day:
- Pope Pius VII, 1823
- William Booth, 1912
- Saint/Pope Pius X, 1914
- Jean-Paul Aron, 1988
- George Adamson murdered, 1989
- Sir Fred Hoyle, 2001
- Leona Helmsley, 2007
- Phyllis Diller, 2012
- Elmore Leonard, 2013
- Jerry Lewis, 2017
- 1667 - John Milton's Paradise Lost entered in the Stationerys' Register by printer Samuel Simmons.
- 1741 - Vitas Jonas Bering discovers Alaska.
- 1882 - Premiere of Tchaikovsky's '1812 Overture' in Moscow commemorating the 70th anniversary of Russia's crushing Napoleon in 1812.
- 1885 - American premiere of Gilbert and Sullivan's 'The Mikado.'
- 1897 - Mosquitos spread malaria, discovers Sir Ronald Ross in Hydrabad.
- 1908 - King Leopold II hands over Congo to Belgium.
- 1911 - First cable message beamed around the world by telegraph at 7:00 p.m. from NY Times Bldg.
- 1913 - First stainless steel cast in Sheffield, England.
- 1913 - First aviator 'loops the loop' at Kiev, Russia.
- 1940 - Mexican Stalinist agent, Roman Mercador, stabs Trotsky with icepick at Cocayan, Mexico City; Trotsky dies next day..
- 1940 - Churchill's speech 'Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.'
- 1956 - First nuclear power generated in UK at Calder Hall power station, Sellafield, Cumbria. closed 3/31/03
- 1965 - Rolling Stones first US number one hit, ' (I don't get no) Satisfaction' released.
- 1968 - Russia invades Czechoslovakia shortly before midnight to crush the "Prague Spring" liberalization drive.
- 1977 - Voyager launched to explore the planets; copper phonograph record with greetings & graphics aboard.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Bernard of Clairvaux
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- Japanese visit graves of ancestors mid August
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God end of August
- FRIENDSHIP DAY - first Sunday in August in USA
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...