Born On This Day:
- Phillippe II France, 1674
- Jack Warner, 1892
- Helen Morgan, 1900
- Myrna Loy, 1905
- Beatrice Straight, 1918
- James Baldwin, 1924
- Carroll O'Connor, 1924
- Peter O'Toole, 1932
- Linda Fratianne, 1950
Died On This Day:
- Saint Stephen, AD 257
- King William Rufus (England) killed, 1100
- Thomas Gainsborough, 1788
- Jacques Etienne Montgolfier, 1799
- Mehemet Ali, 1849
- Horace Mann, 1859
- Wild Bill Hickok shot, 1876
- Calamity Jane (Martha Jane Canary), 1903
- Enrico Caruso, 1921
- Warren G. Harding, 1923
- Paul von Hindenburg, 1934
- Louis Bleriot, 1936
- Wallace Stevens, 1955
- Fritz Lang, 1976
- Donald Ogden Stewart, 1980
- Roy Cohn AIDS, 1986
- William Burroughs, 1997
- Shari Lewis, 1998
- 216 BC - Hannibal's Carthaginians win Battle of Cannae over Romans in Italy in the Second Punic War.
- 1776 - 50 members of Continental Congress finally sign the Declaration of Independence approved July 4.
- 1787 - Horace Saussure becomes first man to reach summit of Mont Blanc.
- 1791 - Father and son Samuel Briggs Sr. & Jr. of Philly receive patent on nail making machine.
- 1819 - First parachute jump in America from a balloon made by Charles Guille over New York City.
- 1830 - Dauphin Louis Antoine reigns as King of France for 15 minutes; abdicates in favor of Henri V.
- 1832 - Militia decimates Saux and Fox Indians in Battle of Bad Axe River.
- 1858 - Government of India transferred from East India Co. to the British government.
- 1858 - Mailboxes first installed on the streets of New York and Boston.
- 1858 - British Columbia constituted a British Crown Colony.
- 1865 - Lewis Carroll's 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland' published but withdrawn because bad print job.
- 1903 - Macedonians uprising against Turks begins; Turkey to retaliate by destroying over 100 villages.
- 1914 - Russia invades Germany; seizes railway stations and Eydtkuhnen with little confrontation. WW1
- 1923 - On the death of Harding, Calvin Coolidge becomes 30th U.S. President.
- 1931 - World's worst flood kills 3.7 million along China's Yellow River.
- 1934 - On death of von Hindenburg, Adolf Hitler becomes Reichsfuhrer - absolute dictator of Germany.
- 1939 - Albert Einstein sends letter to FDR advising that atomic bombs are possible with uranium in a chain reaction.
- 1964 - Gulf of Tonkin incident in Vietnam as three North Vietnamese PT boats attack U.S. destroyer Maddox.
- 1990 - Saddam Hussain's Iraq invades Kuwait; troops cross border at 2:00 a.m. in dispute over $2.4 billion in oil.
- 1993 - Record price paid for sports team - Baltimore Orioles baseball team sold for $173m at NY auction.
- 1993 - Great flood of 1993 peaks; St. Louis spared from devastation of rampaging Mississippi River.
- 1993 - Titan IV rocket explodes over Pacific after launch losing record $800 million spy-satellite cargo.
- 2017 - Dow Jones Industrials climb to over 22,000 for the first time in history. Can it last?
- 2018 - Apple becomes the first US company in history to hit a value of $1 trillion (that's $1,000,000,000,000)
Feast Day of Saint:
- Basil the Blessed
- Alphonsus Liguori
- Day of Kwan-Yun, Chinese Buddhist goddess.
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- Japanese visit graves of ancestors mid August
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God end of August
- FRIENDSHIP DAY - first Sunday in August in USA
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...