Born On This Day:
- Thomas Cranmer first Protestant Archbishop Canterbury, 1489
- Christoph Gluck, 1714
- Hermann Hesse, 1877
- Zelda Fitzgerald, 1900
- Tyrone Guthrie, 1900
- Olav V Norway, 1903
- Sir Alec Douglas-Home, 1903
- René Lacoste, 1904
- Thurgood Marshall, 1908
- Robert W. Sarnoff, 1918
- Patrice Lumumba, 1925
- Medgar Evers, 1925
- John Sununu, 1939
- Ron Silver, 1946
- Larry David, 1947
- Cheryl Ladd, 1951
- Jerry Hall, 1956
- Jose Canseco, 1964
- Lindsay Lohan, 1986
Died On This Day:
- Saint Swithun, AD 862
- Nostradamus, 1566
- Jean-Jacques Rousseau, 1778
- Sir Robert Peel, 1850
- Joseph Chamberlain, 1914
- Sir Herbert Beerbohm Tree, 1917
- King Manual II of Portugal, 1932
- Amelia Earhart disappears, 1937
- Ernest Hemingway suicide, 1961
- Betty Grable, 1973
- Vladimir Nabokov, 1977
- Michael Bennett AIDS, 1987
- Andrei Gromyko, 1989
- Lee Remick, 1991
- Fred Gwynne, 1993
- Jimmy Stewart, 1997
- Mario Puzo, 1999
- Beverly Sills, 2007
- Elie Wiesel, 2016
- Lee Iococca, 2019
- 1644 - Parliamentarians under Cromwell victorious over Royalists at Battle of Marston Moor; 4,000 dead.
- 1777 - Vermont becomes first territory (not yet a State) to abolish slavery.
- 1819 - Factory act in Britain - don't hire kids under 9 in textiles; under 16s can't work more than 12 hrs.
- 1860 - Queen Victoria fires first shot at inaugural meeting of British National Rifle Association.
- 1881 - President Garfield shot in Washington D.C. by Charles Guiteau.
- 1890 - Sherman Anti-Trust Law enacted in U.S.
- 1900 - First Zeppelin Trial flights.
- 1919 - First dirigible (R 34) to cross Atlantic takes off from Scotland with crew of 31
- 1921 - First prizefight with million-dollar gate held at Jersey City. Dempsey KO's Carpentier in 4th.
- 1926 - U.S. Army Air Corps established.
- 1932 - Democratic candidate Franklin Delano Roosevelt pledges 'New Deal' for Americans.
- 1937 - Amelia Earhart's plane disappears near Howland Island in South Pacific.
- 1940 - German sub torpedoes Blue Star liner Arandora Star transporting 714 German and Italian prisoners.
- 1957 - 7.4 earthquake in northeast of Tehran, Iran kills 2,500.
- 1964 - President Lyndon B. Johnson signs Civil Rights Act prohibiting racial discrimination into law.
- 1990 - 1,400 Muslim pilgrims suffocated, crushed to death in stampede in tunnel leading to city of Mecca.
- 2002 - Steve Fosset becomes first person to fly balloon alone around the world after 5 failures.
- Festival of the Palio in Sienna, Italy
- Festival of the Visitation of Virgin Mary to Elizabeth, mother of John the Baptist
- JAGANNATH, RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- NEBUTA, Japanese Festival at peak of summer to drive off lethargy
- SOMA NOMAOI, Japanese Festival of samurai equestrian displays
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...