Born On This Day:
- Marquis de Sade, 1740
- Saint/Pope Pius X, 1835
- Thomas Hardy, 1840
- Edward Elgar, 1857
- Hedda Hopper, 1890
- Johnny Weissmuller, 1904
- Mike Todd, 1907
- Milo O'Shea, 1926
- Sally Kellerman, 1937
- Charlie Watts, 1941
- Stacy Keach, 1941
- Charles Haid, 1943
- Marvin Hamlisch, 1944
- Jerry Mathers, 1948
Died On This Day:
- Giuseppe Garibaldi, 1882
- Lou Gehrig, 1941
- John Erskine, 1951
- George S. Kaufman, 1961
- Leo Gorcey, 1969
- Stephen Boyd, 1977
- Sammy Kaye, 1987
- Andrés Segovia, 1987
- Raj Kapoor, 1988
- Rex Harrison, 1990
- Norton Simon, 1993
- Imogene Coca, 2001
- Mel Ferrer, 2008
- Bo Diddley, 2008
- AD 597 - St. Augustine baptises King Ethelbert of Kent.
- 1162 - Thomas à Becket ordained; consecrated Archbishop of Canterbury tomorrow 3 June.
- 1886 - President Grover Cleveland marries Frances Folsom-first White House wedding of a president.
- 1895 - Japan takes formal possession of Formosa (Taiwan) from China.
- 1896 - Guglielmo Marconi receives U.S. patent on radio 10 years after he makes first broadcast in Italy.
- 1899 - Wild Bunch led by Butch Cassidy blow up bridge and rob Overland Flyer near Wilcox, WY; reap $30Gs.
- 1924 - Congress gives full citizenship to all American Indians, or Native Americans as we call them today.
- 1953 - First televised Coronation of a royal monarch - Queen Elizabeth II - watched by 22 million people.
- 1966 - First soft moon landing by Surveyor 1.
- 1977 - Casino gambling approved in Atlantic City, N.J.
- 1979 - Pope John Paul II returns to Poland in the first visit by a pontiff to a communist nation.
- 2012 - Queen Elizabeth II celebrates her Diamond Jubilee, only the second one in history after Queen Victoria's in 1897.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Martyrs of Lyon
- Marcellinus and Peter
- Nicephorus of Constantinople
- Independence Day Italy (1946)
- SAVITRI-VRATA, Hindu Festival for women
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- SHAVUOT or Feast of Weeks (Jewish), on 6th or 7th of lunar month Sivan.
- ASCENSION (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTECOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- FATHER'S DAY (U.S.) Third Sunday in June.
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- GAY AND LESBIAN PRIDE DAY - Last Sunday in June
- CHAGU-CHAGU UMAKKO or horse Festival in Morioka celebrated second Saturday in June
- HARE KRISHNA RATHA YATRA CHARIOT CARNIVAL celebrated 3rd week in June.
- AMBUBACHI MELA Festival at Kamakhya temple in Guwahati, India celebrated third week in June for 5 days
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...