Born On This Day:
- DeWitt Clinton, 1769
- Sam Houston, 1793
- Pope Leo XIII, 1810
- Pope Pius XII, 1876
- Kurt Weill, 1900
- Dr. Seuss (Theodor Geisel), 1904
- Mel Ott, 1909
- Desi Arnaz, 1917
- Jennifer Jones, 1919
- Martin Ritt, 1920
- John Cullem, 1930
- Tom Wolfe, 1931
- Mikhail Sergeyevich Gorbachev, 1931
- John Irving, 1942
- Lou Reed, 1944
- Eddie Money, 1949
- Karen Carpenter, 1950
- Laraine Newman, 1952
- Jon Bon Jovi, 1962
Died On This Day:
- Wladyslaw I the Short of Poland, 1333
- John Wesley, 1791
- Horace Walpole, 1797
- Holy Roman Emperor Francis II , 1835
- Czar Nicolas I Russia, 1855
- D. H. Lawrence, 1930
- Howard Carter, 1939
- Philip K. Dick, 1982
- Randolph Scott, 1987
- Sandy Dennis, 1992
- Henry Steele Commager, 1998
- Hank Ballard, 2003
- Mercedes McCambridge, 2004
- 1774 - 310 lamps illuminate streets of Boston, Mass for the first time.
- 1836 - Independent Republic of Texas founded by 59 Mexican citizens.
- 1853 - Territory of Washington formed; originally part of Oregon Territory.
- 1861 - Law enacted to copyright photographs; signed by President Buchanan.
- 1882 - Insane Scottish would-be poet, Roderick Maclean, shoots pistol at Queen Victoria in train carriage at Windsor station.
- 1901 - U.S. Forest Service formed.
- 1933 - 'King Kong' premieres in New York.
- 1943 - Beginning of Allies' triumph over Japanese in Battle of Bismarck Sea; 2 day battle drowns 3,500.
- 1949 - Lucky Lady II, U.S. Air Force plane, completes first nonstop round-the-world flight; 4 mid-air refuels.
- 1951 - East beats West 111-94 in first NBA All-star basketball game.
- 1965 - 160 U.S. planes bomb North Vietnam.
- 1969 - The French version of Concorde makes its first 28 minute test flight at Toulouse, France.
- 1972 - Pioneer 10 launched.
- 1974 - Federal grand jury concludes that Nixon co-conspired to cover up Watergate break-in.
- 1988 - Macintosh II computers receive virus interruption of drawing program with plea for world peace.
- 2009 - More market gloom and doom as Dow Jones falls below 7,000 for the first time since 1997; losses cascade around the world.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Independence Day Morocco (1956)
- Texas Independence Day celebrated in State of Texas
- SHROVE TUESDAY. Day before Ash Wednesday. Also called Fastnacht (eve of the fast) in Germany, Carnival (farewell to meat) in Italy, Mardi Gras in Brazil and U.S. & Pancake Tuesday in Britain.
- ASH WEDNESDAY, moveable feast day celebrated 40 days (ex-Sundays) before Easter.
- PURIM or Feast of Lots (Jewish), celebrated on 14th or 15th of lunar month Adar.
- HOLI (Hindu festival of Spring), celebrated early March
- LENT, called Careme in France, Quaresima in Italy and the Great Fast in Eastern Orthodoxy. (between Feb and April)
- SUNDAY OF THE GREAT FIRES, first Sunday in Lent.
- CARLING SUNDAY, fifth Sunday in Lent celebrated in Britain
- TENG CHIEH, Feast of lanterns in China (Fifteenth day of the First Moon)
- PESACH or Passover (Jewish), begins 15th day of lunar month Nisan thru 22nd
- PALM SUNDAY, Sunday before Easter and first day of Holy Week.
- MAUNDY THURSDAY, Thursday before Easter
- GOOD FRIDAY, Friday before Easter
- LAILAT AL-QADR, I'D AL-FITR & IDU'L FITAR, Muslim Festivals
- EASTER (SUNDAY) (March to May) the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox (March 22-April 25) in Western churches
- CHING MING FESTIVAL & QING MING (Singapore), All Souls Day in Far East
- NOTE; EASTER is also called Ostern in Germany and Switzerland, Pasqua in Italy, Pascua Florida or Domingo de Gloria in Spain, Pâques in France, Velykos in Lithuania, Wielkanoc in Polish, Pasha in Greece, Påske in Norway, Påskdagen in Sweden, Zadig in Armenia, Paschen in The Netherlands, Paschoa in Portugal,
- EASTER MONDAY, Monday after Easter.
- RAMA-NAVAMI, Hindu Festival of Rama, celebrated at the end of March
- CH'ING MING, Festival of Pure Brightness in China (Beginning of second moon (about March 21)
- NAEFELSERFAHRT, Swiss pilgrimage the first Thursday in April to Näfels
- COMMONWEALTH DAY in Britain Second Monday in March
- MOTHERING SUNDAY - fourth Sunday of Lent celebrated in England
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...