Born On This Day:
- James (The Admirable) Crichton, 1560
- John Dryden, 1631
- Samuel Richardson baptised, 1689
- Bernard Baruch, 1870
- Orville Wright, 1871
- Coco Chanel, 1883
- Alfred Lunt, 1893
- Ogden Nash, 1902
- Colleen Moore, 1902
- James Gould Cozzens, 1903
- Ring Lardner, Jr., 1915
- Malcolm Forbes, 1919
- Gene Roddenberry, 1921
- Frank McCourt, 1930
- Willie Shoemaker, 1931
- Jill St. John, 1940
- Bill Clinton, 1946
- Dawn Steel, 1946
- Gerald McRaney, 1948
- Ron Darling, 1960
- Matthew Perry, 1969
Died On This Day:
- Emperor Augustus Caesar, AD 14
- Pope Sixtus III, AD 440
- Michael the Brave, 1601
- Blaise Pascal, 1662
- Sergei Diaghilev, 1929
- Federico Garcia Lorca, 1936
- Alastair Sim, 1976
- Groucho Marx, 1977
- Hermione Baddeley, 1986
- Linus Pauling, 1994
- Dick Gregory, 2017
- 1605 - First English colonists arrive in America and land at what is now Maine.
- 1787 - Sir William Herschel discovers moon of Saturn he names Enceladus.
- 1812 - US Navy frigate Constitution nicknamed Old Ironsides; British frigate Guerriere defeated Nova Scotia.
- 1839 - Louis Jacques Daguerre of France invents the daguerreotype (method of taking photos).
- 1856 - Gail Borden of Brooklyn, N.Y. patents the process of making condensed milk.
- 1861 - Passports first introduced in America.
- 1929 - 'Amos 'n Andy' starts broadcasting on NBC radio sponsored by Pepsodent.
- 1934 - Plebiscite in Germany approves vesting sole executive power in Adolf Hitler as Fuhrer.
- 1950 - ABC begins Saturday morning TV shows for children: Animal Clinic and Acrobat Ranch
- 1960 - Russians launch Sputnik 5 with dog passengers Belka and Strelka, first animals recovered from space.
- 1966 - Earthquake in Varto, Turkey of 6.9 magnitude kills 2,520.
- 1991 - Coup in the Soviet Union; Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev ousted while on vacation in Crimea.
- 1995 - World record lake trout weighing 72 lbs caught at Great Bear Lake, Northwest Territory by Lloyd Bull.
Feast Day of Saint:
- John Eudes
- St. Credan of Evesham
- Louis of Anjou
- Sixtus III
- Agapius and Timothy
- Andrew the Tribune
- Bertulf of Bobbio
- Arnulf of Metz
- Independence Day Afganistan (1919)
- National Aviation Day in America
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- Japanese visit graves of ancestors mid August
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God end of August
- FRIENDSHIP DAY - first Sunday in August in USA
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...