Born On This Day:
- Inigo Jones (baptised), 1573
- Samuel Colt, 1814
- Edgar Degas, 1834
- Lizzie Borden, 1860
- Charles Mayo, 1865
- Max Fleischer, 1883
- A.J. Cronin, 1896
- Ethel Merman, 1909
- George McGovern, 1922
- Pat Hingle, 1924
- Helen Gallagher, 1926
- John Bratby, 1928
- Philip Agee, 1935
- George Hamilton IV, 1937
- Vikki Carr, 1941
- Ilie Nastase, 1946
Died On This Day:
- Saint Symmachus, AD 514
- Samuel Wilberforce, 1873
- Clyde Beatty, 1965
- Syngman Rhee, 1965
- John Jacob Astor (Baron Astor), 1971
- Sir James Goldsmith, 1997
- Jack Warden, 2006
- Frank McCourt, 2009
- James Garner, 2014
- Garry Marshall, 2016
- 1545 - 'Mary Rose,' King Henry VIII's favorite warship, accidentally sinks in the Solent with a loss of 700 crew.
- 1588 - Spanish Armada sighted off the coast of Cornwall; Britain launches 55 ships under John Hawkins who cedes some powers to subordinate, Sir Francis Drake.
- 1821 - Coronation of George IV.
- 1843 - Isambard Kingdom Brunel's steamship 'The Great Britain' launched by Prince Albert.
- 1843 - American woman's rights and temperence advocate Amelia Jenks Bloomers introduces loose knee length trousers for women, later known as Bloomers.
- 1864 - Final battle of civil war-Southern Ming dynasty vs. Manchu Govt. in China at Nanking; 100,000 die.
- 1877 - First Wimbledon tennis final played.
- 1886 - 74 year-old piano virtuoso Franz Liszt gives last performance in Luxemburg.
- 1900 - Paris subway opens for business.
- 1919 - Peace celebrations all over the world for end of WWI.
- 1941 - Winston Churchill launches his V for Victory campaign.
- 1943 - 500 Allied planes bomb the city of Rome. WWII
- 1949 - Laos becomes independent.
- 1961 - In-flight movies inaugurated on TWA.
- 1966 - Frank Sinatra, 50, marries Mia Farrow, 21, at Las Vegas.
- 1979 - Record price of $500,000 paid for 4 postage stamps with JN-4 airplane printed upside down.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Macrina the Younger
- Vincent de Paul
- Liberation Day in Nicaragua (1979)
- MARINE DAY, or Day of the Sea celebrated in Japan
- JAGANNATH, RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- NEBUTA, Japanese Festival at peak of summer to drive off lethargy
- SOMA NOMAOI, Japanese Festival of samurai equestrian displays
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...