Born On This Day:
- Nellie Melba, 1861
- Lady Nancy Astor, 1879
- Ho Chi Minh, 1890
- Malcolm X (Little), 1925
- Lorraine Hansberry, 1930
- Jim Lehrer, 1934
- David Hartman, 1935
- Nora Ephron, 1941
- Pete Townshend, 1945
- Grace Jones, 1953
- Rick Cerone, 1954
- Kevin Garnett, 1976
Died On This Day:
- Emperor Otto IV, 1218
- Anne Boleyn beheaded, 1536
- James Boswell, 1795
- Nathaniel Hawthorne, 1864
- Jose Marti killed, 1895
- William Gladstone, 1898
- T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia) killed, 1935
- Booth Tarkington, 1946
- Charles Ives, 1954
- Ogden Nash, 1971
- Sir John Betjeman, 1984
- Henry Morgan, 1994
- Jackie Bouvier Kennedy Onassis, 1994
- Morley Safer, 2016
- 1536 - Henry VIII has Anne Boleyn beheaded for adultery and will wed Jane Seymour on 30 May.
- 1588 - Spanish Armada, mightiest fleet in world, sets sail from Lisbon bound for England and disaster.
- 1749 - The Ohio Company granted charter by King George II to settle the Ohio Valley.
- 1780 - Great mystery blackout-Sun disappears at noon in New England and parts of Canada.
- 1802 - Order of the Legion d'Honneur created by Napoleon.
- 1857 - William Channing and Moses Farmer of Mass. patent the magnetic electric fire alarm.
- 1927 - Grauman's Chinese Theatre opens in Hollywood.
- 1967 - U.S. and U.S.S.R. ban nuclear weapons in outer space.
- 1977 - Kenya bans wildlife hunting.
- 1977 - Orient Express taken out of service after 94 years.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Yves (or Ivo)
- Celestine V
- VESAK (Commemoration of birth, enlightenment and death of Buddha) celebrated Southeast Asia.
- MOTHER'S DAY (U.S.), second Sunday in May
- FESTIVAL OF JOAN OF ARC in France, second Sunday in May
- MEMORIAL DAY (U.S.), Last Monday in May
- PROCESSION OF THE HOLY BLOOD in Belgium on first Monday after May 2.
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- ASCENSION DAY (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTACOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- I'D AL-HAJJ, Muslim Festival
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- BUDDHA PURNIMA, Hindu Festival, celebrated early May
- GANGA DASSHERA, Hindu Festival, celebrated end of May
- ARMED FORCES DAY in US - third Saturday in May
- NATIONAL DAY OF PRAYER in US - first Thursday in May
- NATIONAL DEFENSE TRANSPORTATION DAY - third Friday in May in US
- NATIONAL TEACHER'S DAY - Tuesday in the first full week in May in US
- VICTORIA DAY - first Monday before May 25, celebrating Queen Victoria's birthday in Canada
- WESAK FESTIVAL celebrated in the eastern hemisphere at the Taurus full moon, beginning of May
- GOODWILL FESTIVAL celebrated at the Gemini full moon, end of May
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...