Born On This Day:
- James Watt, 1736
- Robert E. Lee, 1807
- Edgar Allan Poe, 1809
- Sir Henry Bessemer, 1813
- Paul Cézanne, 1839
- Alexander Woollcott, 1887
- Oveta Culp Hobby, 1905
- Mikhail Kalashnikov, 1919
- James L. Farmer, Jr., 1920
- Patricia Highsmith, 1921
- Jean Stapleton, 1923
- Robert MacNeil, 1931
- Tippi Hedren, 1935
- Phil Everly, 1939
- Michael Crawford, 1942
- Janis Joplin, 1943
- Dolly Parton, 1946
- Julian Barnes, 1946
- Robert Palmer, 1949
- Desi Arnaz Jr., 1953
- Sir Simon Rattle, 1955
- Paul Rodriguez, 1955
Died On This Day:
- William Congreve, 1729
- William O. Douglas, 1980
- Arthur Goldberg, 1990
- James Dickey, 1997
- Carl Perkins, 1998
- Hedy Lamarr, 2000
- Tony Franciosa, 2006
- Wilson Pickett, 2006
- Suzanne Pleshette, 2008
- Stan Musial, 2013
- 1770 - Battle of Golden Hill (New York); mob fight becomes first armed confrontation between Brits and colonists.
- 1786 - State of Virginia adopts James Madison and Thomas Jefferson's bill for religious freedom.
- 1788 - 11 ships from England with convicts arrive at Botany Bay, Australia but decide to move to a better port.
- 1840 - Captain Wilkes discovers Antarctic coast.
- 1853 - Verdi's opera Il Trovatore premieres in Rome at the Apollo Theatre.
- 1915 - Patent granted for neon sign to George Claude of Paris, France.
- 1937 - Howard Hughes sets transcontinental air record; flys monoplane from LA to NJ in 7 hrs, 28 minutes.
- 1955 - President Dwight D. Eisenhower holds first press conference ever televised.
- 1966 - Indira Gandhi becomes Prime Minister of India, the first woman to do so.
- 1977 - First snowfall in recorded history in South Florida - West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, even Miami.
- 1978 - Last (old style) Volkswagen Beetle made.
- 2012 - 131 year-old Kodak files for bankruptcy protection.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Audifax and Abachum
- Marius & Martha
- Henry of Uppsala
- Canute IV
- Robert E. Lee's birthday a State holiday in Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina and Tennessee
- YÜAN TAN. Chinese New Year's Day. Based on lunar calendar - starts sunset on day of 2nd New Moon.
- CHINESE LANTERN FESTIVAL 15th day of first month of lunar calendar marks end of Chinese New Year.
- TU BI-SHEBAT (Judaism) New Year for Trees, celebrated on 15th of lunar month Shebat.
- MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY 3rd Monday in January
- ADULTS DAY in Japan - second Monday in January - 'Seijin no hi'
- SNOW FESTIVAL - Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God
- VASANT PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of Spring and of Saraswati, Goddess of Learning (end of January)
- PONGAL AND MAKARA SANKRANTI, mid-January, Harvest festival celebrated in Southern India and Singapore
- LAILAT AL MIRAJ Muslim Festival celebrating ascent of Muhammad into Heaven
- JAPANESE NEW YEAR - 3 day festival
- LOHRI, the Hindu Bonfire Festival, celebrated early January
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...