Born On This Day:
- Antonio Salieri, 1750
- Meriwether Lewis, 1774
- Emperor Franz Joseph I, Emperor Austria, 1830
- Marshall Field, 1834
- Caspar Weinberger, 1917
- Shelley Winters, 1920
- Brian Aldiss, 1925
- Rosalynn Carter, 1927
- Roman Polanski, 1933
- Rafer Johnson, 1935
- Robert Redford, 1937
- Willie Rushton, 1937
- Martin Mull, 1943
- Elayne Boosler, 1952
- Patrick Swayze, 1952
- Malcolm-Jamal Warner, 1970
- Christian Slater, 1971
Died On This Day:
- Genghis Khan, 1227
- Pope Adrian V poisoned, 1276
- Pope Alexander VI accidentally poisoned, 1503
- Pope Paul IV, 1559
- Francis I Holy Roman Emperor, 1765
- Honoré de Balzac, 1850
- William Henry Hudson, 1922
- Walter Percy Chrysler, 1940
- Robert Russell Bennett, 1981
- Anita Loos, 1981
- Sir Frederick Ashton, 1988
- Elmer Bernstein, 2004
- Bruce Forsyth, 2017
- Kofi Annan, 2018
- 1277 - During campaign against Chinese kingdom of Xi Xia, Mongol leader Genghis Khan dies in camp.
- 1587 - Virginia Dare becomes first child of English parents born in America. (Roanoke, NC)
- 1840 - First 'class photograph' taken by Samuel F.B. Morse of Yale College 30th reunion.
- 1840 - American Society of Dental Surgeons organized in New York City.
- 1872 - First Montgomery Ward mail order catalogue issued.
- 1873 - Mount Whitney scaled for the first time by climbers Lucas, Begole and Johnson.
- 1906 - Earthquake in Valparaiso, Chile kills 5,000; whole city devastated; six other towns destroyed.
- 1958 - Vladamir Nabokov's controversial novel
- 1960 - First oral contraceptive, 'Enovid 10' put on sale by Searle Drug Company.
- 1962 - Ringo Starr joins Beatles; debut at Cavern Club, Liverpool. (Some say Horticultural Society dance)
- 1963 - James Meredith becomes first black student to graduate from the University of Mississippi.
- 1967 - Luxury liner Queen Mary sold to Southern California town of Long Beach.
- 1977 - Elvis Presley's funeral; 75,000 gather outside Graceland to pay respects.
Feast Day of Saint:
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- Japanese visit graves of ancestors mid August
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God end of August
- FRIENDSHIP DAY - first Sunday in August in USA
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...