Born On This Day:
- Henry Clay Folger, 1857
- Philip Barry, 1896
- Anastasia (daughter of Czar Nicholas II), 1901
- Keye Luke, 1904
- Kay Kyser, 1906
- Jeanette MacDonald, 1906
- Bud Collyer, 1908
- E.G. Marshall, 1910
- Sylvia Porter, 1913
- Robert Mondavi, 1913
- Sammy Cahn, 1913
- Red Adair, 1915
- Richard Boone, 1917
- Tom Wicker, 1926
- Eva Bartok, 1926
- John D. Rockefeller IV, 1937
- Delia Smith, 1941
- Paul McCartney, 1942
- Roger Ebert, 1942
- Carol Kane, 1952
- Isabella Rossellini, 1952
Died On This Day:
- John Sutter, 1880
- Samuel Butler, 1902
- Roald Amundsen killed, 1928
- Ethel Barrymore, 1959
- John Cheever, 1982
- I.F. Stone, 1989
- Joan Caulfield, 1991
- Peter Allen AIDS, 1992
- Nancy Marchand, 2000
- Clarence Clemons, 2011
- 1429 - Battle of Patay. Major victory of French led by Joan of Arc over English in 100 Years War.
- 1529 - Divorce trial of Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon begins with appeal to the Pope; to last until 7/23.
- 1583 - World's first life insurance policy issued in London on the life of one William Gybbons for 12 months.
- 1744 - First recorded cricket match in England; Kent beats England team by one wicket at Finsbury, London.
- 1778 - British under Gen. Henry Clinton, evacuate Philadelphia. Revolutionary War.
- 1812 - President James Madison officially proclaims war between U.S. and Britain; War of 1812.
- 1815 - Napoleon defeated at Waterloo by Duke of Wellington and Gebhard von Blucher; 12,000 dead soldiers.
- 1910 - Teddy Roosevelt first to receive Broadway ticker tape parade on return from Africa.
- 1928 - Amelia Earhart becomes first woman to fly Atlantic (passenger on Fokker trimotor - pilot Wil Stutz.)
- 1948 - -UN Commission on Human Rights adopts International Declaration of Human Rights.
- 1953 - Egypt becomes a republic.
- 1964 - Lyndon B. Johnson makes call to Japanese PM Hayato Ikeda inaugurating transoceanic cable.
- 1970 - Edward Heath elected British Prime Minister.
- 1982 - Mysterious death of Italian banker Roberto Calvi, found hanging under Blackfriears Bridge, London.
- 1983 - Sally Ride becomes first U.S. Woman astronaut launched into space on Challenger.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Elizabeth of Schonau
- Mark and Marcellian
- SAVITRI-VRATA, Hindu Festival for women
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- SHAVUOT or Feast of Weeks (Jewish), on 6th or 7th of lunar month Sivan.
- ASCENSION (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTECOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- FATHER'S DAY (U.S.) Third Sunday in June.
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- GAY AND LESBIAN PRIDE DAY - Last Sunday in June
- CHAGU-CHAGU UMAKKO or horse Festival in Morioka celebrated second Saturday in June
- HARE KRISHNA RATHA YATRA CHARIOT CARNIVAL celebrated 3rd week in June.
- AMBUBACHI MELA Festival at Kamakhya temple in Guwahati, India celebrated third week in June for 5 days
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...