Born On This Day:
- Wilhelm Steinitz, 1836
- Bertrand Russell, 1872
- Wilson Mizner, 1876
- Walter Gropius, 1883
- Ezio Pinza, 1892
- Frank Capra, 1897
- Meredith Willson, 1902
- Jacob Javits, 1904
- Fred Perry, 1909
- Richard Brooks, 1912
- Perry Como, 1913
- Dame Margot Fonteyn, 1919
- Pope John Paul II, 1920
- Patrick Dennis, 1921
- Pernell Roberts, 1928
- Robert Morse, 1931
- Dwayne Hickman, 1934
- Brooks Robinson, 1937
- Reggie Jackson, 1946
- Rick Wakeman, 1949
- Yannick Noah, 1960
- Tina Fey, 1970
Died On This Day:
- King Rupert Germany, 1410
- Jacques Marquette, 1675
- Pierre Augustin Beaumarchais, 1799
- Gustav Mahler, 1911
- Jeannette Rankin, 1973
- Boris Chaliapin, 1979
- William Saroyan, 1981
- Jill Ireland, 1990
- Alexander Gudonov, 1995
- Ruby Dee, 2014
- 1152 - Henry II marries Eleanor of Aquitaine.
- 1291 - Saracens defeat Christians in Acre, the last Christian stronghold in the Holy Land.
- 1631 - First election in colonial America; John Winthrop elected Governor of Massachusetts.
- 1642 - City of Montreal founded.
- 1652 - Rhode Island passes the first American law making slavery illegal.
- 1756 - Britain declares war on France.
- 1798 - Benjamin Stoddert of Maryland becomes first Secretary of the Navy.
- 1860 - At GOP convention in Chicago, Abraham Lincoln nominated for President.
- 1863 - American Civil War Battle of Vicksburg begins; to continue until Confederate surrender in July.
- 1900 - Tonga proclaimed a British protectorate.
- 1927 - Deadliest mass murder in a US School: Andrew Kehoe sets bombs in Bath MI school killing 38 children and six adults.
- 1933 - Tennessee Valley Authority, TVA, created in U.S. to provide electricity to rural areas.
- 1944 - Independence of Iceland proclaimed.
- 1953 - Pilot Jacqueline Cochran becomes first woman to fly faster than speed of sound over Edwards AFB.
- 1980 - Mount St. Helens volcano erupts again in Washington; 670 mph avalanche kills 57.
- 1991 - Helen Sharman becomes the first Briton in space joining Soviet cosmonauts at Mir space station.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Armed Forces Day
- Lucky Day to marry in Shanghai
- Flag and University Day in Haiti
- VESAK (Commemoration of birth, enlightenment and death of Buddha) celebrated Southeast Asia.
- MOTHER'S DAY (U.S.), second Sunday in May
- FESTIVAL OF JOAN OF ARC in France, second Sunday in May
- MEMORIAL DAY (U.S.), Last Monday in May
- PROCESSION OF THE HOLY BLOOD in Belgium on first Monday after May 2.
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- ASCENSION DAY (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTACOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- I'D AL-HAJJ, Muslim Festival
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- BUDDHA PURNIMA, Hindu Festival, celebrated early May
- GANGA DASSHERA, Hindu Festival, celebrated end of May
- ARMED FORCES DAY in US - third Saturday in May
- NATIONAL DAY OF PRAYER in US - first Thursday in May
- NATIONAL DEFENSE TRANSPORTATION DAY - third Friday in May in US
- NATIONAL TEACHER'S DAY - Tuesday in the first full week in May in US
- VICTORIA DAY - first Monday before May 25, celebrating Queen Victoria's birthday in Canada
- WESAK FESTIVAL celebrated in the eastern hemisphere at the Taurus full moon, beginning of May
- GOODWILL FESTIVAL celebrated at the Gemini full moon, end of May
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...