Born On This Day:
- Edward Jenner, 1749
- Eric Satie, 1866
- King Alfonso XIII of Spain, 1886
- Ayatollah Khomeini, 1900
- Jean Gabin, 1904
- Clark Kerr, 1911
- Maureen O'Sullivan, 1911
- Archibald Cox, 1912
- Birgit Nilsson, 1918
- Dennis Hopper, 1936
- Sugar Ray Leonard, 1956
Died On This Day:
- Botticelli, 1510
- Edward Stafford, 3rd Duke of Buckingham, executed , 1521
- Catherine I, Empress of Russia, 1727
- John Jay, 1829
- Prince Charles-Maurice de Talleyrand, 1838
- John Deere, 1886
- Lilli Lehmann, 1929
- Seabiscuit (race horse), 1947
- Arthur 'Bugs' Baer, 1969
- Robert Maynard Hutchins, 1977
- Selwyn Lloyd, 1978
- Abe Burrows, 1985
- Lawrence Welk, 1992
- Tony Randall, 2004
- Cy Feuer, 2006
- Donna Summer, 2012
- Herman Wouk, 2019
- 1630 - The belts of the planet Jupiter first recognized.
- 1692 - French fleet destroyed off Cap La Hague.
- 1792 - 24 merchants meet in NY and agree to fix rates, eventually becoming New York Stock Exchange.
- 1814 - Independence of Norway from Denmark proclaimed; constitution drawn at Eidsvold.
- 1875 - First running of the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs, Louisville; winner is Artistides.
- 1881 - A revised version of the New Testament was issued.
- 1899 - Foundation stone of the Victoria and Albert Museum laid by Queen Victoria.
- 1900 - Boxer rebels in China burn three villages near Peking killing sixty Chinese Christians.
- 1912 - Gas (liquefied petroleum gas) first used for cooking and heating on a farm in Waterford PA.
- 1916 - British pass daylight saving time act.
- 1920 - World's first commercial airline, KLM, formed 10/7/19, begins service from Amsterdam to London.
- 1924 - MGM incorporated when Metro Pictures merges with the Goldwyn Corp. under Louis B. Mayer.
- 1940 - Germany invades France. WWII
- 1954 - Historic Supreme Court decision to desegregate schools; NAACP winner in Brown vs. Board of Education.
- 1971 - State of Washington becomes first to enact legislation banning sex discrimination.
- 1971 - 'Godspell' opens at Cherry Lane Theatre, New York.
- 1973 - Watergate hearings commence, broadcast live on TV.
- 1980 - Racial riots in Miami cause $100 million damage.
- 1985 - Les Anderson catches the record chinook salmon weighing 97.4 lbs. in the Kenai River, Alaska.
- 1990 - Renoir's 1876 painting 'At the Moulin de la Galette' sold for $78.1 million at Sotheby's N.Y.
- 1990 - 16 page music manuscript by Ludwig van Beethoven of Sonata sold for record $892,000 in London.
- 1995 - $16,548,750 paid for 100.10 carat diamond at Sotheby's, Geneva by Arab Sheik.
- 2004 - Massachusetts begins issuing marriage licenses at midnight for gay couples; first State to do so.
- 2009 - Civil War ends in Sri Lanka with defeat of Tamil Tiger rebels; 80,000 - 100,000 dead over 25 years.
- 2011 - Bottle of Romanée-Conti 1945 becomes most expensive bottle of red wine ever sold - £76,132 at Christie's Geneva.
- 2012 - Facebook goes public on Nasdaq with $104 billion evaluation, second largest IPO in history behind Visa..
Feast Day of Saint:
- Bruno of Wurzburg
- Madron or Madern
- Paschal Baylon
- Constitution Day (Independence Day) in Norway (1814)
- UN World Telecommunications Day
- Day of Plato
- VESAK (Commemoration of birth, enlightenment and death of Buddha) celebrated Southeast Asia.
- MOTHER'S DAY (U.S.), second Sunday in May
- FESTIVAL OF JOAN OF ARC in France, second Sunday in May
- MEMORIAL DAY (U.S.), Last Monday in May
- PROCESSION OF THE HOLY BLOOD in Belgium on first Monday after May 2.
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- ASCENSION DAY (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTACOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- I'D AL-HAJJ, Muslim Festival
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- BUDDHA PURNIMA, Hindu Festival, celebrated early May
- GANGA DASSHERA, Hindu Festival, celebrated end of May
- ARMED FORCES DAY in US - third Saturday in May
- NATIONAL DAY OF PRAYER in US - first Thursday in May
- NATIONAL DEFENSE TRANSPORTATION DAY - third Friday in May in US
- NATIONAL TEACHER'S DAY - Tuesday in the first full week in May in US
- VICTORIA DAY - first Monday before May 25, celebrating Queen Victoria's birthday in Canada
- WESAK FESTIVAL celebrated in the eastern hemisphere at the Taurus full moon, beginning of May
- GOODWILL FESTIVAL celebrated at the Gemini full moon, end of May
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...