Born On This Day:
- Octave Mirbeau, 1850
- Katherine Cornell, 1898
- Edgar Bergen, 1903
- John Schlesinger, 1926
- Brian Bedford, 1935
- Sonny Bono, 1935
- Carl Icahn, 1936
- Kim Jong-il, 1941
- Pete Postlethwaite, 1946
- James Ingram, 1956
- LeVar Burton, 1957
- Ice-T, 1958
- John McEnroe, 1959
Died On This Day:
- Octave Mirbeau, 1917
- Eddie Foy, 1928
- Howard Da Silva, 1986
- Keith Haring, 1990
- Randy Shilts AIDS, 1994
- Edmund G. (Pat) Brown, 1996
- William Masters, 2001
- Lesley Gore, 2015
- 1659 - First known British cheque written by Nicholas Vanacker for £10.
- 1824 - Athenaeum Club founded in London at Royal Academy in Piccadilly (later moved to Waterloo Place).
- 1857 - World's first institution for higher education of deaf people incorporated - National Deaf Mute College, DC.
- 1868 - Elks Club organized in New York City.
- 1873 - Spain proclaimed a republic.
- 1878 - The silver dollar becomes legal U.S. tender.
- 1900 - Chung Sai Yat Po, America's first Chinese daily newspaper, published in San Francisco.
- 1912 - First movie taken from an airplane by Frank Trenholm Coffin over New York City.
- 1923 - First radio drama broadcast - a scene from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar on the BBC in England.
- 1937 - Nylon, first produced 5/23/34, patented by inventor Dr. Wallace Hume Carothers of Dupont.
- 1959 - Fidel Castro becomes Prime Minister of Cuba.
- 1960 - From Connecticut, nuclear submarine USS Triton embarks on world's first underwater circumnavigation of the earth.
- 1970 - Joe Frazier becomes world heavyweight boxing champ knocking out Jimmy Ellis in 5 at NY.
- 2011 - IBM's artificial intelligence computer Watson triumphs over human opponents Brad Rutter and Ken Jennings in three-day match of quiz show Jeopardy!
Feast Day of Saint:
- Day of Krishna 8th Avator of Vishnu
- Independence Day Lithuania (1918)
- TU BI-SHEBAT (Judaism) New Year for Trees, celebrated on 15th of lunar month Shebat.
- PRESIDENT'S DAY 3rd Monday in February observing births of Washington & Lincoln
- SHROVE TUESDAY (or Fat Tuesday). Day before Ash Wednesday. Also called Fasnacht (eve of the fast) in Germany and Austria, Carnival (farewell to meat) in Italy, Mardi Gras in Brazil and U.S., Street Urchins' Carnival in Denmark & Pancake Tuesday in Britain.
- ASH WEDNESDAY, moveable feast day celebrated 40 days (ex-Sundays) before Easter.
- PURIM or Feast of Lots (Jewish), celebrated on 14th or 15th of lunar month Adar.
- HOLI (Hindu festival of Spring and Vernal Fire)
- HOLA MOHALLA, Sikh Festival celebrated in India
- LENT, called Careme in France, Quaresima in Italy and the Great Fast in Eastern Orthodoxy. (between Feb and April)
- SUNDAY OF THE GREAT FIRES, first Sunday in Lent.
- CARLING SUNDAY, fifth Sunday in Lent celebrated in Britain
- MAHA SHIVARATRI, Hindu Festival of the Night of Shiva, celebrated mid-February
- TENG CHIEH, Feast of lanterns in China (Fifteenth day of the First Moon)
- CHINESE NEW YEAR celebrated all over the world in February
- SUPER BOWL SUNDAY - first Sunday in February from 2004
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...