Born On This Day:
- Francois VI, duc de La Rochefoucauld, 1613
- James Fennimore Cooper, 1789
- William Howard Taft, 1857
- Bruno Walter, 1876
- Robert Benchley, 1889
- Agatha Christie, 1890
- Jean Renoir, 1894
- Roy Acuff, 1903
- Umberto II Italy, 1904
- Fay Wray, 1907
- Margaret Lockwood, 1916
- Jackie Cooper, 1922
- Hank Williams, 1923
- Cannonball Adderley, 1926
- Bobby Short, 1926
- Norm Crosby, 1927
- Merlin Olsen, 1944
- Jessye Norman, 1945
- Oliver Stone, 1946
- Tommy Lee Jones, 1946
- Dan Marino, 1961
- Henry, (Harry) Prince of Wales, 1984
Died On This Day:
- Saint Ludmila, AD 921
- Isambard Kingdom Brunel, 1859
- Jumbo the Elephant, 1885
- William Seward Burroughs, 1898
- Thomas Wolfe, 1938
- Patrice Lamumba assassinated, 1960
- King Gustav VI of Sweden, 1973
- Willy Messerschmitt, 1978
- Robert Penn Warren, 1989
- Freddy de Cordova, 2001
- Johnny Ramone, 2004
- 1571 - 200 Spanish & Italian ships sail to eastern Mediterranean to do battle against Ottomans. Attack 10/7
- 1776 - British occupy New York; George Washington withdraws to Harlem.
- 1784 - A year after Paris, first ascent in a hydrogen balloon in England made by Italian Vincenzo Lunardi.
- 1812 - Russians set fire to Moscow to keep out Napoleon and invading French troops
- 1821 - Central American republics proclaim independence from Spanish.
- 1830 - Liverpool-Manchester Railway opens in England; first railway death occurs-MP William Huskisson.
- 1835 - First sighting of Galapagos Archipelago by Charles Darwin aboard the HMS Beagle.
- 1862 - Stonewall Jackson captures Harper's Ferry, West Virginia.
- 1916 - Tanks first used by the British in the Battle of Flers-Courcelette, part of the Somme offensive. WWI.
- 1928 - Bacteriologist Alexander Fleming announces discovery of bacteria-killing compound, penicillin.
- 1938 - Hitler and Chamberlain meet at Berchtesgarden.
- 1940 - German Luftwaffe in biggest raid over London in the Battle of Britain.
- 1946 - Bulgarian People's Republic proclaimed.
- 1971 - Greenpeace founded in Vancouver, B.C.
- 1978 - Muhammad Ali regains title from Leon Spinks; is first to win heavyweight championship 3 times.
- 1982 - USA Today began appearing on newsstands and vending machines today across America.
- 2004 - 5 pro-hunting protestors breach security on House of Commons floor - first time since 17th Century.
- 2008 - Largest corporate bankruptcy in US history - Lehman Brothers goes bust owing $613 billion; Wall Street goes into meltdown; World markets collapse.
- 2008 - Dow Jones falls 504.48 points, 4.4%, biggest loss since terrorist attacks of 2001.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Nicetas the Goth
- John the Dwarf
- Katherine of Genoa
- Independence Day Costa Rica, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua & Guatemala (1821)
- Battle of Britain Day in England
- Mexican independence festivities begin
- Respect for the Aged Day in Japan
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- LABOR DAY (U.S. and Canada) First Monday in September.
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- BIRTHDAY OF KRSNA. (Hindu)
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- ROSH HASHANA (Jewish New Year) first and second days of lunar month Tishri.
- YOM KIPPUR (Jewish Day of Atonement) tenth day of lunar month Tishri.
- SUKKOTH (Jewish Feast of Tabernacles) 15th day of lunar month Tishri - five days after Yom Kippur
- SIMCHAT TORAH (Jewish Rejoicing of the Law) 23rd day of Tishri
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CH'IU CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- OWARA KAZE NO BON, HACHIMAN & DOBUROKU MATSURI harvest festivals in Japan
- NATIONAL GRANDPARENTS' DAY - first Sunday after Labor Day in USA
- NATIVE AMERICAN DAY - fourth Friday in September in US
- RAMADAN, Muslim Holy Month
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...