Born On This Day:
- Moliere (Jean Baptiste Poquelin) baptized, 1622
- Ivor Novello, 1893
- Goodman Ace, 1899
- King Saud Saudi Arabia, 1902
- Dr. Edward Teller, 1908
- Gene Krupa, 1909
- Cy Feuer, 1911
- Lloyd Bridges, 1913
- Hugh Trevor Roper, 1914
- Gamal Abdul Nasser, 1918
- Rod MacLeish, 1926
- Chuck Berry, 1926
- Maria Schell, 1926
- Martin Luther King, Jr., 1929
- Margaret O'Brien, 1937
- Princess Michael of Kent, 1945
- Charo, 1951
Died On This Day:
- Fanny Kemble, 1893
- Matthew Brady, 1896
- Jack Teagarden, 1964
- David Lilienthal, 1981
- Red Smith, 1982
- Meyer Lansky, 1983
- Knute Rockne killed, 1986
- Ray Bolger, 1987
- Sammy Cahn, 1993
- Harry Nilsson, 1994
- King Moshoeshoe II of Lesotho killed, 1996
- Victoria de los Angeles, 2005
- Susannah York, 2011
- Carol Channing, 2019
- 1559 - Queen Elizabeth I crowned at Westminster Abbey.
- 1759 - British Museum opens at Montague House, London.
- 1797 - First top hat worn by John Hetherington in Strand, London; arrested for scaring populace fined 2 gns.
- 1861 - Steam elevator patented by Elisha Otis, his first entry into the elevator business.
- 1870 - Cartoonist Thomas Nast first uses donkey to symbolize Democratic Party in cartoon for Harper's.
- 1892 - Official rules of Basketball first published by James Naismith in The Triangle (Springfield College).
- 1915 - US House of Representatives rejects a proposal to give women the right to vote.
- 1919 - Two million gallons of molasses in burst Boston storage tank sends tidal wave kills 21 injures 150.
- 1922 - Irish Free State comes into being.
- 1936 - Non-profit Ford Foundation incorporated.
- 1943 - Pentagon completed in Arlington Co. VA; largest office building of its time.
- 1967 - First Superbowl played in Memorial Coliseum, Los Angeles; Packers beat Kansas City 35-10.
- 1971 - Aswan High Dam in Egypt inaugurated. Nile under control.
- 1984 - Apple announces the up-coming Macintosh computer.
- 1992 - Fed. Republic of Yugoslavia ends as European Communities recognize Croatia & Slovenia independence.
- 2001 - Wikipedia, the free Internet encyclopedia, launched by founder Jimmy Wales.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Macarius the Elder
- Paul the Hermit
- Day of Fo an early Chinese Buddha
- Koshogatsu (Little New Year) in Japan
- Coming-of-Age Day in Japan
- YÜAN TAN. Chinese New Year's Day. Based on lunar calendar - starts sunset on day of 2nd New Moon.
- CHINESE LANTERN FESTIVAL 15th day of first month of lunar calendar marks end of Chinese New Year.
- TU BI-SHEBAT (Judaism) New Year for Trees, celebrated on 15th of lunar month Shebat.
- MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY 3rd Monday in January
- ADULTS DAY in Japan - second Monday in January - 'Seijin no hi'
- SNOW FESTIVAL - Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God
- VASANT PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of Spring and of Saraswati, Goddess of Learning (end of January)
- PONGAL AND MAKARA SANKRANTI, mid-January, Harvest festival celebrated in Southern India and Singapore
- LAILAT AL MIRAJ Muslim Festival celebrating ascent of Muhammad into Heaven
- JAPANESE NEW YEAR - 3 day festival
- LOHRI, the Hindu Bonfire Festival, celebrated early January
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...