Born On This Day:
- Emperor Charles IV, 1316
- Thomas Gainsborough (baptism), 1727
- Otto Klemperer, 1885
- Patrice Munsel, 1925
- Eric Morcombe, 1926
- Bobby Darin, 1936
- Jack Bruce, 1943
- Francesca Annis, 1944
- George Lucas, 1944
- Robert Zemeckis, 1952
- Tim Roth, 1961
- Ferran Adrià, 1962
- Cate Blanchett, 1969
- Mark Zuckerberg, 1984
Died On This Day:
- Henry IV France, 1610
- Louis XIII, 1643
- August Strindberg, 1912
- H. J. Heinz, 1919
- David Belasco, 1931
- Lord Allenby, 1936
- Emma Goldman, 1940
- Rita Hayworth, 1987
- Jiang Qing suicide, 1991
- Lyle Alzado, 1992
- William Randolph Hearst Jr., 1993
- Frank Sinatra, 1998
- Wendy Hiller, 2003
- Robert Stack, 2003
- B. B. King, 2015
- Tom Wolfe, 2018
- 1264 - English barons led by Simon de Montford triumph over King Henry III at the battle of Lewes.
- 1610 - Roman Catholic fanatic Francois Ravaillac assassinates popular King Henry IV of France in Paris.
- 1643 - King Louis XIV, age 4 years 8 months, ascends throne of France. ('The Sun King')
- 1796 - Worlds first vaccination-against smallpox by British physician Edward Jenner.
- 1804 - Lewis and Clark expedition leaves St. Louis to explore Louisiana Territory.
- 1842 - Illustrated London News first published.
- 1878 - Vaseline (petroleum jelly) patented by British-born chemist working in Brooklyn, Robert A. Chesebrough.
- 1913 - John D. Rockefeller donates $100 million to establish Rockefeller Foundation; largest gift in history.
- 1940 - Home Guard formed in Britain.
- 1948 - State of Israel proclaimed as British mandate ends in Palestine; Arab countries declare war.
- 1955 - Warsaw Pact signed to ensure integration of military, economic and cultural policy between eight Communist nations including USSR.
- 1998 - 108 million Americans tune in the NBC for record-breaking finale of Seinfeld TV series.
- 2004 - Mary Donaldson of Tasmania becomes first Australian to marry into ruling royal family - Denmark.
- 2008 - Lucian Freud becomes top selling living painter when his nude of large woman sleeping is sold for $33.6 million at Christie's, New York.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Michael Garicoits
- Mary Mazzarello
- Independence Day Israel (1948), Paraguay (1811)
- Kamuzu Day in Malawi
- VESAK (Commemoration of birth, enlightenment and death of Buddha) celebrated Southeast Asia.
- MOTHER'S DAY (U.S.), second Sunday in May
- FESTIVAL OF JOAN OF ARC in France, second Sunday in May
- MEMORIAL DAY (U.S.), Last Monday in May
- PROCESSION OF THE HOLY BLOOD in Belgium on first Monday after May 2.
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- ASCENSION DAY (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTACOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- I'D AL-HAJJ, Muslim Festival
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- BUDDHA PURNIMA, Hindu Festival, celebrated early May
- GANGA DASSHERA, Hindu Festival, celebrated end of May
- ARMED FORCES DAY in US - third Saturday in May
- NATIONAL DAY OF PRAYER in US - first Thursday in May
- NATIONAL DEFENSE TRANSPORTATION DAY - third Friday in May in US
- NATIONAL TEACHER'S DAY - Tuesday in the first full week in May in US
- VICTORIA DAY - first Monday before May 25, celebrating Queen Victoria's birthday in Canada
- WESAK FESTIVAL celebrated in the eastern hemisphere at the Taurus full moon, beginning of May
- GOODWILL FESTIVAL celebrated at the Gemini full moon, end of May
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...