Born On This Day:
- Nostradamus, 1503
- King Henry IV France, 1553
- King George VI, 1895
- Gen. Jimmy Doolittle, 1896
- Margaret Chase Smith, 1897
- King Paul I Greece, 1901
- Morey Amsterdam, 1914
- Dan Dailey, 1915
- Charlie Rich, 1932
- Abbe Lane, 1935
- Lee Remick, 1935
- Stan Smith, 1946
- Patty Duke, 1946
- Michael Ovitz, 1946
- Chris Waddle, 1960
- Michael Owen, 1979
Died On This Day:
- King James V Scotland, 1542
- Saint John of the Cross, 1591
- George Washington, 1799
- Albert Prince Consort, 1861
- Earl Stanley Baldwin, 1947
- Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, 1953
- Dinah Washington, 1963
- William Bendix, 1964
- Walter Lippmann, 1974
- Nathaniel Benchley, 1981
- Roger Maris, 1985
- Stuart Symington, 1988
- Andrei Sakharov, 1989
- Friedrich Dürrenmatt, 1990
- Myrna Loy, 1993
- Norman Fell, 1998
- Jeanne Crain, 2003
- Peter O'Toole, 2013
- 1542 - Mary Queen of Scots ascends to throne of Scotland on death of James V; she is only 7 days old.
- 1798 - David Wilkinson of RI patents machine for making screws.
- 1819 - Alabama 22nd state admitted to Union.
- 1900 - Quantum theory of physics first revealed by Max Planck to students at Berlin University.
- 1902 - First message sent by cable across the Pacific Ocean from San Francisco to Honolulu.
- 1911 - Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen with 52 dogs and four companions conquers South Pole.
- 1918 - Woman first vote in British national election.
- 1936 - 'You Can't Take it With You' starts 837 performance run N.Y.-Pulitzer Prize.
- 1948 - Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip announce name of first son: Charles Philip Arthur George.
- 1970 - World Trade Center topped out at 110 stories in N.Y.
- 1981 - Israel annexes Golan Heights, held under occupation since its capture from Syria in the 1967 war.
- 1997 - In constellation Ursa Major 12 billion years away, star explodes-energy equal to 10 billion trillion stars.
- 2011 - End of two day marathon auction of Elizabeth Taylor's jewelry at Christie's, New York, reaps world record $137.2 million, the most valuable sale of jewelry in auction history.
- 2012 - Second deadliest school shooting in America as Adam Lanza kills 20 elementary school children and seven teachers including his mother in Newtown, CT.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Fingar or Gwinnear and Phiala
- John of the Cross
- Nicasius of Rheis
- Venantius Fortunatus
- ADVENT SUNDAY, Sunday nearest to feast of Saint Andrew (Nov. 30) whether before or after.
- CHANUKKA (Jewish Feast of Lights), eight day holiday beginning on 25th day of lunar month Kislev.
- TSAO CHÜN, Festival of the Kitchen God in China (23rd day of the twelfth moon (or 24th in Kwantung)
- CH'U HSI, Night of the Thirtieth (29th day of the twelfth moon)
- KWANZAA - African American Heritage celebrated December 26 - January 1
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...