Born On This Day:
- Benedict Arnold, 1741
- Albert Schweitzer, 1875
- Hugh Lofting, 1886
- Hal Roach, 1892
- John Dos Passos, 1896
- Cecil Beaton, 1904
- William Bendix, 1906
- Joseph Losey, 1909
- Andy Rooney, 1919
- Yukio Mishima, 1925
- Warren Mitchell, 1926
- Thomas Tryon, 1926
- Julian Bond, 1940
- Trevor Nunn, 1940
- Faye Dunaway, 1941
- Marjoe Gortner, 1945
- Larry Kasdan, 1949
Died On This Day:
- Edmund Halley, 1742
- Lewis Carroll, 1898
- Humphrey Bogart, 1957
- Jeanette MacDonald, 1965
- Barry Fitzgerald, 1966
- Peter Finch, 1977
- Anthony Eden, 1977
- Anais Nin, 1977
- Donna Reed, 1986
- Uta Hagen, 2004
- Shelley Winters, 2006
- Ricardo Montalban, 2009
- Alan Rickman, 2016
- 1794 - First caesarean operation in US performed by 24 year old Dr. Jesse Bennett on wife in Edom, VA.
- 1814 - Norway ceded to Sweden by King of Denmark.
- 1858 - Unsuccessful attempt to assassinate Napoleon III by Orsini.
- 1878 - Alexander Graham Bell demonstrates his invention to Queen Victoria at Osborne House, Isle of Wight.
- 1900 - Giacomo Puccini’s opera "Tosca" debuts in Rome at the Theatro Constanzi before the Queen of Italy.
- 1907 - Earthquake in Jamaica destroys capital of Kingston; 1,000 killed.
- 1914 - Henry Ford inaugurates first assembly line for continuous assembly of cars.
- 1952 - The Today Show starts broadcasting mornings on NBC Television; Dave Garroway hosts.
- 1954 - Marilyn Monroe marries Yankee Clipper Joe Dimaggio at San Francisco City Hall.
- 1969 - Russian Soyuz 4 and 5 become first manned spacecraft to interchange astronauts in space.
- 1999 - Trial of the Century begins - President Clinton impeachment trial by U.S. Senate over sexual misconduct.
- 2011 - Rebellion in Tunisia is first time in history that public street demonstrations overthrow an Arab leader; President Zine el-Abidine Ben Ali flees country.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Felix of Nola
- Macrina the Elder
- Festival of the Ass celebrated in France (fete de l'ane)
- Mallard Day
- YÜAN TAN. Chinese New Year's Day. Based on lunar calendar - starts sunset on day of 2nd New Moon.
- CHINESE LANTERN FESTIVAL 15th day of first month of lunar calendar marks end of Chinese New Year.
- TU BI-SHEBAT (Judaism) New Year for Trees, celebrated on 15th of lunar month Shebat.
- MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY 3rd Monday in January
- ADULTS DAY in Japan - second Monday in January - 'Seijin no hi'
- SNOW FESTIVAL - Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God
- VASANT PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of Spring and of Saraswati, Goddess of Learning (end of January)
- PONGAL AND MAKARA SANKRANTI, mid-January, Harvest festival celebrated in Southern India and Singapore
- LAILAT AL MIRAJ Muslim Festival celebrating ascent of Muhammad into Heaven
- JAPANESE NEW YEAR - 3 day festival
- LOHRI, the Hindu Bonfire Festival, celebrated early January
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...